Tank Journal Archive

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Moar Corals!!! (and A Steal Of A Deal On A Fish)
went into Deer Park today to take a look at some corals to see what they had. My levels have remained steady since the addition of the basselet so I felt it was safe to add another fish as well.

Picked up a beautiful acro that looked a little dull in the store but under the par 38s it's showing a beautiful blue/green base with purple tips. Been in the tank for about 3 hours and already has great polyp extension.

Also picked up what, as much as Dave and I can tell, is a species of Turbinaria. I'm leaning towards scroll which would be Tubinaria reniformis. It has a tan base with nice green polyps. Again showing great PE already.

Even though the store tank and my tank are both run under LED's, I've gone ahead and reaised my par 38s about 4 inches to help acclimate. I'll lower them an inch a week until they are back to where they were.

And now for the steal of a fish. I'd asked them to look for either a white line or a tanaka pygmy wrasse Wetmorella albofaciata and tankai respectively. He said he'd just got in a Wetmorella nigropinnata or a shovel nose/yellow banded pygmy in. well, it was the reddest yellow banded I'd ever seen. I nabbed it just incase and upon closer inspection I'm 90% sure it's a tanakai!

I haven't seen it since I released it into the tank but that's to be expected when a fish in introduced into a new tank.

here's your pictures (I'll grab a FTS later tonight once the tank has settled after a water change)

ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_IMG_0750_zps5b072bb8.jpg

ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_IMG_0749_zps5c7ecbd0.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nice looking acro, but I am super jealous about the tanakai!! Love those fish but have never seen one here.

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Tank has a screen top so hopefully that'll keep this little fella put. .....if he ever leaves the rockwork haha

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
New FTS. Still trying to figure out how to get the colours to really show but this is pretty close. I've got a Cannon 600D if anyone wants to tell me some tricks. You can see a bit of the assessor in this one...he's chilling out under the spin stream (hence the shadow) munching on some of my bajillion pods.

ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_IMG_0783_zps3ba0e7d4.jpg

Also, check out this PE when lights just turned on! photo taken with Samsung S5

ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_20140428_0906331_zps12c5f7ab.jpg

Edit: Holy balls I need to clean the glass before a FTS next time....jesus.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
wicked polyp extension! I bought an acro from Dave that looked ok in store, and BAM! Got it home and it coloured up and is all fury like now too :)

$20 bargain piece too :)

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
With your camera set your ISO higher like 800-1000, have pretty fast shutter speed 1/400 ish and adjust f stop to good level also just go through your white balance settings- usually put mine on shady

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
With your camera set your ISO higher like 800-1000, have pretty fast shutter speed 1/400 ish and adjust f stop to good level also just go through your white balance settings- usually put mine on shady
Awesome thanks!

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
went into Deer Park today to take a look at some corals to see what they had. My levels have remained steady since the addition of the basselet so I felt it was safe to add another fish as well.

Picked up a beautiful acro that looked a little dull in the store but under the par 38s it's showing a beautiful blue/green base with purple tips. Been in the tank for about 3 hours and already has great polyp extension.

Also picked up what, as much as Dave and I can tell, is a species of Turbinaria. I'm leaning towards scroll which would be Tubinaria reniformis. It has a tan base with nice green polyps. Again showing great PE already.

Even though the store tank and my tank are both run under LED's, I've gone ahead and reaised my par 38s about 4 inches to help acclimate. I'll lower them an inch a week until they are back to where they were.

And now for the steal of a fish. I'd asked them to look for either a white line or a tanaka pygmy wrasse Wetmorella albofaciata and tankai respectively. He said he'd just got in a Wetmorella nigropinnata or a shovel nose/yellow banded pygmy in. well, it was the reddest yellow banded I'd ever seen. I nabbed it just incase and upon closer inspection I'm 90% sure it's a tanakai!

I haven't seen it since I released it into the tank but that's to be expected when a fish in introduced into a new tank.

here's your pictures (I'll grab a FTS later tonight once the tank has settled after a water change)

View attachment 40019

View attachment 40020
Sick corals. Looking good in your tank