Tank Journal Archive

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Moved Sump From Garage To Under Tank.
So I had a build thread over on RTAW before I got banned, so I'm not gonna bother posting all the early stuff. Rather, I'll post the most recent stuff I've done.

This is how the sump started out:

ai.imgur.com_PKbrX.jpg

It was in the garage, "behind" the display. Easily accessible, but also easy for stuff to fall in. Also became problematic for a variety of other small reasons. For a while I'd toyed with the idea of getting a new, smaller sump and modifying my stand to fit it underneath, thus freeing up this space and making the plumbing more simple. Never got around to it though, until recently.

So to begin with, this is what the vanilla stand looked like.

ai.imgur.com_0bht404.jpg

I removed the center leg, doubled up the horizontal beam and added some secondary thick legs in the corner, as well as some front-to-back reinforcement underneath, like so:

ai.imgur.com_fJxJ9M0.jpg

Had to knock out the "floor" of the stand too as it was waaayyyy too tall. Thankfully it wasn't load bearing. I made sure to anchor the new wood beams with some long, strong outdoor timber-to-timber hex head screws (similar to roofing screws). Gave my new drill driver and impact driver a workout.

This was the final result:

ai.imgur.com_pT9TIgx.jpg

ai.imgur.com_4K80pRc.jpg

From left to right:

IEC outlet power boards.
Dosing pump.
TLF 150 reactor.
JNS CO-1 skimmer.
JNS omega1 biopellet reactor.
Jebao DC12000 return pump (hidden behind skimmer waste container)
ATC800+ temperature controller.

The chiller is plumbed in through the external wall and sits on my back patio. Great location for it as it gets a good supply of fresh air which prevents heat buildup and allows it to work more efficiently.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Welcome to the reefuge ! Looks good hope it now sorts out your little annoyances that the old one presented. Sometimes the little things are the most annoying lol " :)

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Welcome to the reefuge ! Looks good hope it now sorts out your little annoyances that the old one presented. Sometimes the little things are the most annoying lol " :)
Thanks, haha. I've been here for a little while, only decided to start majorly posting now though. Had a collection of bad experiences on the MASA/RTAW forums that've made me a little hesitant to engage.

The tank has actually been up and running for near-on 3 years, the sump move was only this week. So far it's a bit better. Yeah, it's awful cramped under the stand, but the plumbing is way less complex and there's no chance of any garage goop falling into it.

I also changed my ATO system from a little basic one from Guppy's online, to a Hydor Smart ATO. The basic floatswitch one repeatedly overfilled/overflowed the sump due to it sticking, to the point where it actually put enough water on the floor one time to give my other half a rather serious knee injury (she stepped into an unexpected puddle and twisted her leg the wrong way on the way down). The Hydor one, on the other hand, not only has a minimum water level sensor, but a maximum one too - and an emergency cutoff right above that that kills the pump and sounds an alarm. There's almost no chance of it overfilling now.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I run the tunze ATO. Brilliant. You will love a good quality one. I have to ask , you may choose not to answer but what got you booted ?? I started reefing 2 yrs ago. Got recommended to masa posted a so called stupid question and boy I got belted. !!! Never went back. You will find a whole different mentality on " the reefuge". I look forward to your questions and better still your answers & feedback. Your tank looks lovely too by the way. :)

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
I run the tunze ATO. Brilliant. You will love a good quality one. I have to ask , you may choose not to answer but what got you booted ?? I started reefing 2 yrs ago. Got recommended to masa posted a so called stupid question and boy I got belted. !!! Never went back. You will find a whole different mentality on " the reefuge". I look forward to your questions and better still your answers & feedback. Your tank looks lovely too by the way. :)
disagreeing with chromus frequently got me on his shit list and from there it was just a matter of time. I also refused to drink the moderator's brand of koolaid, as well as not parroting or blindly agreeing with the hivemind (for example, not agreeing that activated carbon causes HLLE).

I got a few temp bans for "being argumentative" but the permaban happened after I called the mods out for covering up illegal activity from MASA partner stores (namely selling electrical goods without the correct Australian power plugs). They were quietly deleting comments and locking threads on the subject,and deflecting any lines of questioning relating to it. I refused to let it go and was permabanned for it.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Love the change up mate :) I would have been terrified pulling out the centre brace even knowing it wasn't load bearing haha
It's turned out really nice mate and the tank looks good too :) Looking forward to seeing you around the heathen parts of Australian reefing :P haha

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Love the change up mate :) I would have been terrified pulling out the centre brace even knowing it wasn't load bearing haha
It's turned out really nice mate and the tank looks good too :) Looking forward to seeing you around the heathen parts of Australian reefing :p haha
haha

oh believe me I was scared shitless. The tank and all its contents weighs at least half a ton, probably more. If it'd landed on me, I'd have been a goner, guaranteed.
I'm planning on redoing the aquascape to get more sand bed space as well as make the reef taller rather than wide or fat. Right now it's just a rock wall. Lots of small dead spots.

E

ezza

@KoNP . Don't worry honey. You're safe now. We'll take care of you and your aquarium.

ai1.kym_cdn.com_photos_images_newsfeed_000_045_989_443px_Clarinet_boy_revenge.jpg

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
disagreeing with chromus frequently got me on his shit list and from there it was just a matter of time. I also refused to drink the moderator's brand of koolaid, as well as not parroting or blindly agreeing with the hivemind (for example, not agreeing that activated carbon causes HLLE).

I got a few temp bans for "being argumentative" but the permaban happened after I called the mods out for covering up illegal activity from MASA partner stores (namely selling electrical goods without the correct Australian power plugs). They were quietly deleting comments and locking threads on the subject,and deflecting any lines of questioning relating to it. I refused to let it go and was permabanned for it.
I like what you did, stopping corruption! If that stuff is happening there i would rather not take their advice.

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
Am envious of your bravery in knocking out that centre brace. I would have been waaaaaaaay to scared to do so. Good on you! Its looking fantastic! :)

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Am envious of your bravery in knocking out that centre brace. I would have been waaaaaaaay to scared to do so. Good on you! Its looking fantastic! :)
I made sure it was more than safe to do first, asked some people knowledgeable in weight and load bearing structures, and made sure to over-engineer the reinforcement just in case.But yeah it was pretty nail biting at first. I kept expecting to hear the glass crack or the stand creak or something but nope, it barely noticed. The fish didn't appreciate the sound of the impact driver though, the stand quite efficiently broadcast it through the whole tank.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
haha

oh believe me I was scared shitless. The tank and all its contents weighs at least half a ton, probably more. If it'd landed on me, I'd have been a goner, guaranteed.
I'm planning on redoing the aquascape to get more sand bed space as well as make the reef taller rather than wide or fat. Right now it's just a rock wall. Lots of small dead spots.
haha would not have been pretty!! You did a great job on it though :)
Any ideas on what you are planning for the new scape??

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
haha would not have been pretty!! You did a great job on it though :)
Any ideas on what you are planning for the new scape??
Hey at least I would have made a handsome corpse. Or that's what I tell myself anyway.

As for aquascape ideas - right now I'm still just planning it. I want it to have a lot more open space than the current one without sacrificing much of the rock. That way the fish get more swimming room, whilst I keep most of my biological filtration/coral mounting spots.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Hey at least I would have made a handsome corpse. Or that's what I tell myself anyway.

As for aquascape ideas - right now I'm still just planning it. I want it to have a lot more open space than the current one without sacrificing much of the rock. That way the fish get more swimming room, whilst I keep most of my biological filtration/coral mounting spots.
It would have been like the scene from The Wizard of Oz hahaha

That's always the trick isn't it, a nice open scape with the a large amount of filtration power still going! I'm sure you'l think of something nice ;) Especially with 4ft to play with!