Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Never See Eggs On My Sexy Shrimp?
Hi guys,

I managed to get a pair of sexy shrimp a few months back and I never see eggs under the females tail. My hunch is that they have probably been breeding for some time and I just don't know what to look for. What am I missing?

Here is a pic of them. She (left) was originally the same size as him (right) when I got them so they are a young pair. They live in a HOB breeder box with a little pump attached that pushes water through and overflows back into the tank.
_20150914_130834.JPG

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Omg - much jealousy!

Been trying to get some of these for months and months now! Where'd you get them from?

Chrismelb

May 14, 2013
Been trying to source these for months also, interested to know where you got them from?

I forget how long it takes for the eggs to hatch but from memory on the last day you should be able to see the babies eyes (black). Then at nyte usually an hour or two after dark the eggs will hatch out

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I think that the eggs might be difficult to see - this is a good guide with lots of pictures http://reeftinkers.com/forums/topic/2-sexy-breeding-an-illustrated-guide/
Ok so it says that as the larvae grow her 'lateral tail flaps separate'. I *think* she has that now? If you zoom in on my pic, she has two flaps with bullseye pattern on them sticking right out.

But from memory I think she always looks like that :( Will have to pay close attention over the next few days - these shrimp are so tiny its hard to see.

I have a larvae trap so I plan to set it up and see what I get.

@lukusis @Chrismelb Its pot luck. I left my name and number at a few LFS's and out of the blue about 6 months later I got a call. The only catch is that they are often mistaken with anemone shrimp. Apparently they are listed incorrectly on some of the wholesale suppliers lists so if anyone tells you that you must purchase an anemone with the shrimp that is definitely the wrong shrimp. I paid $45 each.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Yeah, I've been hounding a few LFS and Cairns Marine for them.

Will keep grinding away at them for now!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Ok so it says that as the larvae grow her 'lateral tail flaps separate'. I *think* she has that now? If you zoom in on my pic, she has two flaps with bullseye pattern on them sticking right out.

But from memory I think she always looks like that :( Will have to pay close attention over the next few days - these shrimp are so tiny its hard to see.

I have a larvae trap so I plan to set it up and see what I get.

I paid $45 each.
She should molt in the full moon M, then you will have to look for the eyes.

Here's a place to look for info, great folks there with a HUGE knowledge base.

http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=223

I really feel for you folks there, I think they retail here for $50 a pair. :(

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I would say the day after her moult she would most likely get visible eggs.
It looks like we will be able to test this out as I came home to find she has shed today. That was very convenient of her!

Her shed skin is in front of the pink morph in the centre of the pic. I think it irritated the morph:

_20150915_174207.JPG

Last edited:

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sexy!
I am just guessing here but it would require sexual maturity and even then some females might be more inclined to breed then others.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Sexy!
I am just guessing here but it would require sexual maturity and even then some females might be more inclined to breed then others.
Depends on how much tequila you give them, that usually makes them more receptive. Oh wait, we're talking about shrimp.

Yes, they need to be old enough to spawn. Looks like a year old to spawn and 12-14 days till she releases the zoea.

Mar 10, 2016
It looks like we will be able to test this out as I came home to find she has shed today. That was very convenient of her!

Her shed skin is in front of the pink morph in the centre of the pic. I think it irritated the morph:

View attachment 51345
Sorry to be getting to this so late. There is a delay in Google search results. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on my site (reeftinkers.com) or here if that is more convenient. Either way, I'm dying to know how this project is going? Have you seen any eggs?