Tank Journal Archive

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
New (pre-established) Nano Reef Obsession!
Hi all! I'm so happy to have discovered this site! It seems like a really nice little community with pretty pictures and lots of Aussies. Yay! (I like being able to stalk what locals put in their tank :p)

I recently purchased this Aqua Medic Yasha Nano Reef tank, which was already established with LR and corals (and an urchin :3) and I absolutely love it to bits. It is such a good little tank and the gentleman we got it from was wonderful.

Anywho, I added a hammer, LT plate coral and a tiny morph to it today. Placement is not set in stone until I see what the torch and LT plate do and I'm not sure what I want to add down the line. Xenia, awesome zoanthids, mushies - and some kind of other polyps or softies. I'll see what happens!

Looking forward to documenting its progress! Please excuse the photo. I'm a terrible photographer. >_>

Attachments

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
Wow, that looks good!

Yeah you may be in for some chemical warfare. But all the best! XD
I moved the Candy Cane last night and I just got home from work and the LT Plate has doubled in size. lol! It pushed one of my live rock pieces over (which is still happy) so I'd better re-arrange again. :p

Hopefully everyone plays nicely. X_X

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
Hmm . . . That tank looks familiar.
So glad you're happy with it - looks like it's going to progress nicely.
I'm so embarrassed. I actually found this site Googling for coral ideas for this tank and this site came up! I usually lurk at Nano-Reef and MASA (but MASA's just not pretty enough and NR's got things we can't get...)

I just re-read that thread and saw your name and yes, now embarrassed. I feel like a creepy stalker!*

The funny this is, the LFS guy I bought the corals from knew where the tank was from as soon as I mentioned it. He'd seen it advertised. >_> The tank is famous!

*that being said, I'm now going to stalk your tank journals. :p

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
Look at that big, obnoxious, puffy thing!! Of course my partner had to choose something that wants to blow up like a jumping castle. :p So it's in the corner now. It's a bit reduced in this image but still very puffy. o_0

Still looking for that magic Make Photos Awesome button on my camera so please excuse my excessive usage of Photoshop to saturate my pics with more colour and contrast. And dodgy DOF. :p

Attachments

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
And thank you all for the warm welcome!!! I've spent my Sunday arvo making disgusting faces at my tank and drooling over future additions on the net. >_>

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
Some crappy iPhone pics! I wanted to see if I could get better photos on my phone. O_o

Random zoanthid shot, bad top down shot (with lt plate for SCALE) and a pic of the urchin that came with the tank :3)

Attachments

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
You're making me nostalgic. Everything is looking great.
That urchin used to stick some crazy shit on his back, he'll certainly keep you entertained.
I have to say, I don't know what it was about that tank but everything I put in there thrived really well.
It needed very little care to stay a brilliant little unit.
I'm really looking forward to seeing it's progress.

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
You're making me nostalgic. Everything is looking great.
That urchin used to stick some crazy shit on his back, he'll certainly keep you entertained.
I have to say, I don't know what it was about that tank but everything I put in there thrived really well.
It needed very little care to stay a brilliant little unit.
I'm really looking forward to seeing it's progress.
I don't know where he's finding half the crap that's stuck to his back! I'm waiting for him to Katamari roll over a coral and take it with him. :p Also, Hammer Mountain is his favourite place to hang. It really is a great little tank. I added Purigen and Phosguard to the back a few days ago (not sure if I could fit anything else :p) but it was still perfect without them. No one seems particularly interested in feeding yet (Ocean Snow type stuff) so I'll pick up some meatier stuff today to feed to the trachy, the jumping castle, etc. :p

Definitely looking forward to adding more corals. I just have to figure out where things will fit! The rock work needs more height so I can slope it back a bit more but I'm not looking forward to disturbing the corals again. I'm picking up more RO water today so I'll see if my LFS has some clean/cycled foundation live rock. >_> I'm on holidays. It's dangerous.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I don't know where he's finding half the crap that's stuck to his back! I'm waiting for him to Katamari roll over a coral and take it with him. :p Also, Hammer Mountain is his favourite place to hang. It really is a great little tank. I added Purigen and Phosguard to the back a few days ago (not sure if I could fit anything else :p) but it was still perfect without them. No one seems particularly interested in feeding yet (Ocean Snow type stuff) so I'll pick up some meatier stuff today to feed to the trachy, the jumping castle, etc. :p

Definitely looking forward to adding more corals. I just have to figure out where things will fit! The rock work needs more height so I can slope it back a bit more but I'm not looking forward to disturbing the corals again. I'm picking up more RO water today so I'll see if my LFS has some clean/cycled foundation live rock. >_> I'm on holidays. It's dangerous.
The trachy loves a bit of finely chopped prawn every week or so.
Where are you getting your RO from?