Tank Journal Archive

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
New Skimmer! (jns-ws1)
Okay! So I decided that my current skimmer isn't really cutting it. The amount of "stuff" (food, waste, detrius etc) that I'm collecting on the filter wool which I have placed after the skimmer chamber, is huge - Wheras the Skimmer isn't producing more than pale tea coloured water (sometimes even lighter)

I know that for the amount of water changes I do and the frequency of attention to the tank, it's not REALLY needed (I don't really need a skimmer at all to be honest) but it doesn't hurt and I want to keep SPS in the near future and am just about to make myself a brand new sump from scratch, so I thought it's a good investment.

One of these will be arriving this week! JNS have awesome reviews in the US and this one especially, the WC-1. Great that it has a small footprint. A very underrated skimmer and very well priced.

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_e001b49f280005a3032a_1.jpg

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_e001b49f280005a3032a_2.jpg

Will give a personal review below once it arrives and is broken in properly and photo's to show the skimate.

Last edited:

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
The new baby arrived today! VERY impressed with build quality. This thing is much heavier than other skimmers (even much larger ones) I've held. The acrylic is thick and the pump is held up off the floor level (meaning no annoying vibrations) The Skimmer cup and band holder is a good design and it comes apart very easily for cleaning, but feels SO SOLID once put back together.

Will do a vinegar rinse tonight to help get things started and give some updates early next week on how it goes!

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Skimmers (when brand new) still have slight oil residues on their moving parts, the vinegar rinse helps remove that so they work better, sooner :-)

I still have to do an air line modification, but it's working well so far.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
I'm getting a lot of sludge up the tube and in the collection cup. The liquid itself in the cup is still like a liquid tea. I removed the air line from the silencer and I think that's made an improvement. I think I need to get it a tad higher up so the skim-mate is drier, but I'm so impressed at how quiet it is. I'm still yet to do my sump modifications so once that's done I think it'll do even better. I cleaned the skimmer cup out yesterday, but I'll get a photo of it in a week or so, so you can see what it pulls out. It's not huge, but then again I do 10% weekly water changes, run chemi-pure elite, extra carbon and floss pad, so I don't think it'll ever be able to skim more than it does, because there's not THAT much extra to skim LOL.