Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
New Sump ?
Hi.
After opinions on this new sump design please
Never designed a racetrack sump before but seems a perfect solution for ease of plumbing A peninsular tank

Very open to any problems you see & any feed back on this type of sump In general

Thanks in advance :)
IMG_6849.JPG

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
New build time! Wooooo :D

My suggestion would be to have a divider between the skimmer and the overflow plumbing and if you have a flush through the overflow all that extra air that hits the skimmer will make it go nuts and overflow lol I learnt that the hard way more than once :P
OR if you've got room, put the air intake on the opposite side to the overflow pipes :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
New build time! Wooooo :D

My suggestion would be to have a divider between the skimmer and the overflow plumbing and if you have a flush through the overflow all that extra air that hits the skimmer will make it go nuts and overflow lol I learnt that the hard way more than once :p
OR if you've got room, put the air intake on the opposite side to the overflow pipes :)
Ow. Wow ok
We have downpipes directly into much smaller skimmer compartment now and had no issues
Do you think it will be an issue
As with current skimmer we are using a separate pump as it was meant to be external.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I always like to have my return sections a bit bigger than most people. This is a personal preference though.

This means that my auto-topup isn't dumping a whole lot of RO/DI unnecessarily when my return pump is turned back on and the standpipes are being purged of air.

And if you are using dosing pumps, the mixtures aren't being dumped directly into your return pumps intake and have a little bit to dissolve into the water. Once again, personal preferences :)

Last edited:

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Take what I say with a grain of salt,
I think the return section is a little small for a tank that size.
Maybe you could swap the Frags and display and remove the baffles betweeen the two or just have 1 baffle that hold some depth so the frags are constantly in water.
Hope this makes sense....what about an RO section ?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I always like to have my return sections a bit bigger than most people. This is a personal preference though.

This means that my auto-topup isn't dumping a whole lot of RO/DI unnecessarily when my return pump is turned back on and the standpipes are being purged of air.

And if you are using dosing pumps, the mixtures aren't being dumped directly into your return pumps intake and have a little bit to dissolve into the water. Once again, personal preferences :)
Interesting. I was always told that the smaller the section the better for salinity stability

Meaning we have fling the return sections fairly tight to get into

Will have a chat to hubby. Because once again has designed it to just fit.

Thank you

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Maybe you could swap the Frags and display and remove the baffles betweeen the two or just have 1 baffle that hold some depth so the frags are constantly in water.

The baffle height in the "frag " section are equal in height so the water level should remain constant

We have a 700x700 ato storage arriving
But hope soon to buy the new spectra litre metre ato and have our rodi supply outside in a 1000lt ibc

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Oh and can I ask what relevance does the Return section size have to total tank water volume ?
I am so useless and the hardware store of things

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Oh and can I ask what relevance does the Return section size have to total tank water volume ?
I am so useless and the hardware store of things
That's where the water level will drop. No biggie just you ATO will turn on and off more regular than normal. Also if it died then less time to rectify it.