Tank Journal Archive

DeWalt

May 6, 2015
Melbourne
New Uv Sterilizer
Watched the De bary UV sterilizer thread on rtaw for a while and decided to get a uv. Mainly because I haven't run one before (have had most other toys).

I decided on an el cheapo 11w pondone uv with a decent Phillips bulb. Flow through is only 800 lph to allow for decent contact time within the uv. Really interested to see if algae growth does slow down.

Noticed my skimmer collected a ton of skimmate today. As in a completely full cup of dark skimmate, coincidence perhaps.

Installed yesterday
image.jpg

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I have also joined the UV club after reading the same thread and speaking to a few that do run them. I chose the Debary 25w. Flow through is max 2500lt. So we set up for 2000lt. Noticed straight away that cleaning glass has dropped from every 3rd day to once every 7-8 days. been running it about 6 weeks now. Happy so far

Last edited:

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I have one in the cupboard , used it on freshwater and marine years ago. I hated the huge long leads attached , never got round to shortening them.

DeWalt

May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I have also joined the UV club after reading the same thread and speaking to a few that do run them. I chose the Debary 25w. Flow through is max 2500lt. So we set up for 2000lt. Noticed straight away that cleaning glass has dropped from every 3rd day to once every 7-8 days. been running it about 6 weeks now. Happy so far
Cool. So far I have noticed somewhat clearer water and my skimmer has been skimming like a beast. I think that's due to the uv killing off algae/micro organisms in the water column and the skimmer picking them up easier as they decompose (?)

I normally have to clean the tank's viewing panels every second day as I run a nutrient rich system. I'd really welcome having to do it less lol.

DeWalt

May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I have one in the cupboard , used it on freshwater and marine years ago. I hated the huge long leads attached , never got round to shortening them.
Annoys me as well. My current sump is temporary until I finalise the one that I'm building though, so didn't want to shorten the cords just yet.