Reef Discussion

gigglypig

Feb 15, 2016
Newbie Sps Keeper Help
Ive always wanted to have some SPS corals in my tank. But where do I start? Im confused about all the dosings eg vinegars, trace elements, vodka, zeovit etc...
My main current tank conditions are
Nitrates: around 5ppm
Phosphates: 0
Ph 8.2

My questions are:
1. What do I need to dose?
2. What other parameters do I need to check?
3. What are Beginner SPS? (I really want acros and plating)
4. What am I missing?

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
My questions are:
4. What am I missing?
Basics are Ca, ALK and Mg and you can keep SPS well with regular WC

Ca, ALK, Mg, PO4, N03, Salinity and temp. Not just check these really should e stable and in the desired range all the time. With PO4 being the big one it must stay stable below 0.05 preferably 0.03 and you need accurate measuring hanna checker at the very least.

Best to get ones that are doing well in other peoples tanks and have a history of people sharing frags grown in captivity.

4. What am I missing?[/QUOTE]
The other two big ones that come to mind is water flow and lighting.

You can take it as far as you want checking for K, Sr, I etc etc but really not necessary to keep SPS so long as you keep up with WC.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Basics are Ca, ALK and Mg and you can keep SPS well with regular WC

Ca, ALK, Mg, PO4, N03, Salinity and temp. Not just check these really should e stable and in the desired range all the time. With PO4 being the big one it must stay stable below 0.05 preferably 0.03 and you need accurate measuring hanna checker at the very least.

Best to get ones that are doing well in other peoples tanks and have a history of people sharing frags grown in captivity.

4. What am I missing?
The other two big ones that come to mind is water flow and lighting.

You can take it as far as you want checking for K, Sr, I etc etc but really not necessary to keep SPS so long as you keep up with WC.
Can't add anything more than that. Well said!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Do what I did. My tanks have all been softies and to try some SPS I bought a cheapest, smallish piece of acropora with a nice bit of green but nothing too exotic just to give it shot.
I just stuck up the top of the tank under full light and 6 months later it's doing really well. New growth, fat and happy.
I do keep my Calc, Mag and Alk and Phos consistently bang on and regular water changes. Other than that it's on it's own.
In fact, I might try some more SPS when I relocate the tank next month.

mcs

Jun 14, 2014
Beginner SPS would be the ones as people said are frags that people have propegated, but also easier species would be, birdsnests, pocci's, green montipora, they tend to be a bit more forgiving. most of the others tend to get harder to keep.