Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Nori
My lfs has been out of Nori for weeks, i was told you can use the stuff from the supermarket is this safe?my tangs are packing their bags to leave home with out ito_0

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Just make sure you dont get the ones that are seasoned or contain vinegar, I use the same as shown above and my tangs actually prefer it over the two little fishies ones

E

ezza

But it loved the Nori available from the supermarket - this is the one I used all the time

View attachment 55121
I buy this from Woolworths and Coles. It sometimes becomes "one for the fish, one for the kid, one for the fish, one for the dog!" . I will use nothing else. It's cheap, always available and gorgeously edible quality. We also use it for sushi :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm a cheap bastard, I use the stuff from the supermarket. There's a seller on eBay that sells 100 sheets for $10 here in the USA, that's what I use. When you're sometimes feeding 200 tangs, it's gets expensive. M's Purple snubs his nose at anything but this and romaine tops. Picky little shit.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I'm a cheap bastard, I use the stuff from the supermarket. There's a seller on eBay that sells 100 sheets for $10 here in the USA, that's what I use. When you're sometimes feeding 200 tangs, it's gets expensive. M's Purple snubs his nose at anything but this and romaine tops. Picky little shit.
OH dear.....my tangs have expensive taste....wonder where they got that from.....they won't touch the cheap nori

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Make sure it's the green stuff Susan, mine won't touch the red or purple nori. The rabbitfish LOVE the purple stuff so they get that till it's used up.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Make sure it's the green stuff Susan, mine won't touch the red or purple nori. The rabbitfish LOVE the purple stuff so they get that till it's used up.
yeah it is the green one, they may get a taste for it after awhile

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Susan, give them a few goes at the same Nori before giving up. I usually find my Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty are a but hesitant at first, but after putting in the same Nori a few times (and when they realise they aint getting anything else) they start eating it.

I have tried several different sea weeds from the Asian supermarkets. All were from China. They usually have the scientific name of the algae written on them. All have been eaten so far except for one type that came as knotted kelp - only the Strombus ate that one.

I did have one packet from David Jones that the fish really liked and was made in Japan, but David Jones doesn't stock it any more.

I currently use the Obento brand suggested by Magic (it's even cheaper at Asian Supermarkets).

Aside, I let the algae grow on the back ball and one side of my aquarium so my fish are "free range" eaters and the top half of the back wall always has the half-moon impressions from my fish eating at it.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Like Henry said, it may take a while for them to get used to it. M's Purple tang took 2 tries, now he ravages it as soon as it hits the tank.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Try ripping it into strips, some of it is perforated and I just put it between the glass and a cheap algae magnet, sometimes that makes it more visually appealing to them. I don't have some super wham-diddy feeder. That goes back to the me being a cheap SOB.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Try ripping it into strips, some of it is perforated and I just put it between the glass and a cheap algae magnet, sometimes that makes it more visually appealing to them. I don't have some super wham-diddy feeder. That goes back to the me being a cheap SOB.
I just have a small piece of rock on the end of some fishing line (which I tie to my light support). I attach the Nori to the rock with an elastic band and then throw the rock in. The fish pull it around.

My Nori doesn't last very long between my Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty and Melanurus Wrasse.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I need to shoot some video of M's Cleaner Wrasse eating nori and romaine lettuce. He gets right in there and goes to town with Pete the Purple tang.