News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Off Topic - Suggestion
Hi everyone,

Over the last year members movement on this site has been looked over by staff members. We have noticed different personalities, as well as different interests. The Reefuge has an idea to expand the Off Topic section for members to "activate" certain forums. The Reefuge would like to hear members opinion on this. This is how it will work.

Once a member goes into the Off Topic forum, there will not be a single forum/thread that is displayed. There will only be a message telling you to select which forums you would like to see. Selection of certain forums will activate them, and deactivate them if you should wish so. This means members will be able to view content in the off topic section that they want to see, and ignore what does not interest them.

The Reefuge is a MA15+ website by default, but this does not mean that there is no room to expand. Here are the forum suggestions at the moment.

Politics / Religion (mature members only, total respect to others opinions)
Cars (Talk about cars)
Sports (Talk about sports)
R18+ (Restricted to members. This will not be available to even select if you are under 18)
Movies
Music
Technology

By default, a user will not see any of these forums. They will need to manually select which of these they would like to be a part of.

The Reefuge would like feedback of this idea, as the community will be who uses it.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Honestly, I think this wouldn't work. I don't think there is enough Off Topic chat to warrant so many sub-forums yet, which means some/many will become inactive 'ghost' forums.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Thats all reef related, I'm talking for general fabrication, home renovations etc

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I'm thinking the same as chimaera - we're a little too low volume.
How about instead that we have some kind of thread tag - a bit like we have for WTS, WTT, and so on in the trading forums?
As an interim measure at least it would give some people a clear idea of what the thread is about so they can decide for themselves whether or not they want to open it.

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
One of the things i like about the current reefuge system is the fact you dont have 10 million sub (ghost) forums and you can just have a quick look through the site as see whats there.

I also like the fact you dont have to scroll down past 50 bloody announcments etc that are 10 years out of date, just to see what the latest threads are :mad:

I say keep it how it is...but do add the R18+ sub-forum :):worship

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
I'm thinking the same as chimaera - we're a little too low volume.
How about instead that we have some kind of thread tag - a bit like we have for WTS, WTT, and so on in the trading forums?
As an interim measure at least it would give some people a clear idea of what the thread is about so they can decide for themselves whether or not they want to open it.
I like this, perhaps even have the ability to filter the topics if you are after one specific type of conversation at the time.

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
i recon the R18+ stuff because i no some funny things that can go in there thats a bit rude and definitly needs to only be for adults, i think that the idea of all the stuff the reefuge said could work, if someone has a problem with there car, throw it up, some people can help out, anything, even if there is a section "cars" then a subtitle "problems" "mods" bla bla bla, i think it would work, all it needs is a few threads to start off and people can just add on, just needs some one to get the ball rolling thats it

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

It seems to me that you are all interested in the R18+ forum. This will be set up soon. Are you all sure you do not want other subforums created at this point?

Thanks.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
How about an off topic for sale section??
But lock off making posts to people who have less than 100 posts/comments or something, so that there aren't people just creating a user to sell anything.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I think it's a great idea and should be based on current content like you have listed above Neo - suggestions for other topics are great but I personally believe that if people are not already talking about it, they won't use it.

If you had an "Other" forum then any content that doesn't fit into the categories could be posted there, and over time if one emerges as being popular (eg. Renovation/DIY as suggested above) then a sub-forum could be created for it.

Is there a way to set up the sub-forums so that the Off-Topic section looks the same, but filters out the content you are not interested in? I know nothing about how to set up these things but that would be my ultimate.