Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
One Year Old Update!
So a year has already gone since I filled the tank up and I am pretty happy with how it's all going.
All the fish I have moved over from my previous nano tank are doing well, as are almost all of the corals. I know I lost a coral or two but I can't remember what they are now.
My first coral I got, a Duncan, was going really great and I fragged it in to 3 parts with 5-10 heads each. A few months later all of the Duncans got brown jelly. I managed to save two heads so hopefully I can grow them back to their former glory. It was strange because the Duncans were all in different parts of the tank but all died at the same time. I have a green Duncan that didn't get any brown jelly at all.
I also lost two clams that both died at the same time, I still have no idea why.

The fish that I transferred over from my nano are the two clowns, a tiger blenny, yellow coral goby and a carpenters wrasse. All these fish are doing great and my clowns started laying eggs a few months ago.
I have added seven new fish in the last year. A blue tang, foxface, cleaner wrasse, yellow watchman goby plus shrimp, a mandarin, a lyretail anthias and a tuka anthias. The last three were from a tank shut down as I was helping a friend out, hence the random anthias! Ill probably get a school on Anthias some day. The next fish on the list is a copperband butterfly.

My crispa anemone decided this week that it would walk about 20cm, (over the top of a xenia which didn't even bother it!) after being in the same spot for almost a year and attach it self to a different rock. It actually chose a pretty good spot so hopefully it stays there.

All of my hammers are going great, I bough a nice orange one a while back which is getting an even more intense orange colour now.
My green leather is getting huge and my zoanthids are out of control which looks great.

I added a biopellet reactor about a month ago which hasn't had a measurable affect yet but I am hoping it will allow me to feed a bit more.

I decided that since my tank was a year old now, I would give it a really good clean out. I scraped all the coraline off the back wall... the entire back wall! I used a long handle heavy duty paint scraper. That coraline was thick! It made the water pink for a few hours and for some reason my bristle worms went weird and started flapping around on the sand and one looked like it was spawning.
I did a big water change, cleaned off my power heads. One of them was playing up but started working again after a vinegar soak, but one of the grommets has worn out so I will need to replace that.

I think that is about it for the update, I just need to add pics over the next day!

New red Trachy
redtrachy310314.jpg

Cool looking fungia
fungia310314.jpg

Before and after power head cleaning. As you can see, there is a slight film of algae on it. Surprisingly, this power head was working perfectly. The other 'cleaner' one was the one playing up.
powerhead.jpg

powerheadclean.jpg

More pics to come...

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Wtf? Where's the FTS? :rolleyes Been a year already! Do you dose? The first time I scraped all my coralline off my alk and cal went up a bit the next week I guess it sucked a bit of both. That pump!, were you and @Joshwaaaa having a comp lol

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Wtf? Where's the FTS? :rolleyes Been a year already! Do you dose? The first time I scraped all my coralline off my alk and cal went up a bit the next week I guess it sucked a bit of both. That pump!, were you and @Joshwaaaa having a comp lol
Shoosh you. There is still crap floating in the water so you are just gonna have to wait :cool:
Im dosing randys recipe with the proper powders, about 40ml per day of calc and alk.
I haven't seen @Joshwaaaa pump, got a link?
All the coraline is still in my tank... just on the sand now :rolleyes

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
for a second I thought the top picture was the after shot :banghead

Looks SO much better with the back and glass cleaned up!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Now here are some ultra super dooper omg iz he 4 real pics.... you may think you have stumbled on a facebook page but I assure you its not. Please DO NOT write 'Sold!' in the comments. :rolleyes

bluezoa2010414.jpg

acan010414.jpg

fungia010414.jpg

goldtorch2010414.jpg

redtrachy2010414.jpg

thubsup.jpg

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
HOW MUCH FOR THE ACAN I'LL GIVE YOU $400
WHAT IS THE LAST CORAL? SOLD PENDING PRICE AND DELIVERY COST.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I needed to turn off the whites in my tank just to see if I still had my own "Area 51" yours looks insane!!!!! Well done !