Help / Suggestions

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
One Year On . . .
It’s just turned a year on Friday since I started my reef tank and been with the Reefuge.
It started with a 36L Yasha which of course after about 4 months grew to a custom built 600x35x30 76L Yasha copy, with everything moved into the bigger tank.
So what have I learnt in one year of reefing? – Heaps.
  • Read and learn, read and learn and ask questions
  • Start slowly
  • Use the best products and equipment you can afford
  • Don’t do knee jerk reactions when something goes wrong
  • Learn to read your tank
  • Come to the realisation that this isn’t a cheap experience

Have I enjoyed my tank over the past year?

Yes and No. Most of the time the tank has been looking OK and everything has been working fine. Then sometimes I feel I haven’t been able to produce the kind of tank I really want, probably mainly due to lack of funds but every now and then I lose a coral which in hindsight I feel I may have been under feeding, that really annoys me. I’ve stepped up the feeding program with regular target feeding. I’ve been able to maintain regulation water parameters without too much hassle.

I now test over a wider range of parameters but probably less frequently due to being more aware of the tanks condition just by observing. I have been using Randy’s Recipe for a couple of months which I feel has helped maintain the Calc/Alk/Mag ratio at excellent levels.
I’ve had a few battles with algae outbreaks over the year but have managed to bring things somewhat under control, I can see sometimes why people give it away in frustration.

One thing I must say, I don’t think I would have stayed as keen to keep the tank going if it wasn’t for the Reefuge. The advice, the help, the insanity has been great.
Thanks folks.:)