Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Oops X 6
Well started the hunt for some new corals today, we need to have both sides of the tank looking good very soon.
So we LFSed today, I am happy with the start of our new collection !
They have only been in tank for a matter of an hours or so,hope to see some extension soon.
The only one we are a little worried about is the new purple goni, he was closed up and covered in algae, we were told he just doesn't open so got him real cheap !!
Lets hope he likes his new home a little better.
Also hoping that the SPS we bought stays healthy too ? The colors are lovely (don't show on photos very well).
The little white alverpora wasn't very happy either but unlike the purple actually looks reasonably healthy.
The people who know me will be very suprised - NO RED ! lol

Corals bought 7.11.14 004 (2).JPG
Corals bought 7.11.14 006.JPG
Corals bought 7.11.14 009.JPG
Corals bought 7.11.14 001.JPG
photo 4 (6).JPG
Corals bought 7.11.14 003.JPG

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Isn't the time before a new tank meant to mean less corals till it's setup? :p
Awesome scores there and I hope that blue goni makes it! That little guy is AMAZING :D Some nice acro's there too :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Isn't the time before a new tank meant to mean less corals till it's setup? :p
Awesome scores there and I hope that blue goni makes it! That little guy is AMAZING :D Some nice acro's there too :)
Thanks. Blue/ purple goni is actually about the size of a tennis ball. Bargin if it lives can I ask a stupid question. You made me think. Do corals add to the bio load at all ? Should we not have bought them yet ?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Thanks. Blue/ purple goni is actually about the size of a tennis ball. Bargin if it lives can I ask a stupid question. You made me think. Do corals add to the bio load at all ? Should we not have bought them yet ?
Definitely a killer goni if it makes it! :) No stupid question either!!
Corals don't directly add to the bioload of a tank, it's more indirectly. With increased feeding there's going to be more nutrients but from the sounds of things I don't think you'll have much to worry about :) It just means you'll have to be a little more careful with your transfer when you do it, more corals, more life that needs moving. If you take it slow and do it all carefully and allow proper time for adjustments then you won't have any problems :) I would hold off a little on more livestock till you've got the new tank up and running :p It'l make life easier for you in the long run :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Definitely a killer goni if it makes it! :) No stupid question either!!
Corals don't directly add to the bioload of a tank, it's more indirectly. With increased feeding there's going to be more nutrients but from the sounds of things I don't think you'll have much to worry about :) It just means you'll have to be a little more careful with your transfer when you do it, more corals, more life that needs moving. If you take it slow and do it all carefully and allow proper time for adjustments then you won't have any problems :) I would hold off a little on more livestock till you've got the new tank up and running :p It'l make life easier for you in the long run :)
Thanks, your correct with less work. BUT our theroy is that we wont have any bloody money left after we pay for the new tank. so buy now or wont buy at all....lol
Glad to hear it wont actually add to bio load though suddenly panicked that new purchase may add to the tank crash we are hoping to NOT have.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Thanks, your correct with less work. BUT our theroy is that we wont have any bloody money left after we pay for the new tank. so buy now or wont buy at all....lol
Glad to hear it wont actually add to bio load though suddenly panicked that new purchase may add to the tank crash we are hoping to NOT have.
Haha well that's the other side of the coin so you can always go for it! :)
Yep, you're not going to crash the tank with new corals (too much sps at once can be a different matter but you don't need to worry about that!). Just increase feeding slowly :) maybe reduce a bit to others so you can boost it for the new guys :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air

Don't make me come down there and take you on an EPIC collecting expedition because I would. :D I would kill to live there because I'd be in the damn water all the time.

Wrangy is spot on about the indirect bioload as well. Everything adds to the load of your tank in some way from live rock to fish. The trick is managing those loads. ;)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Don't make me come down there and take you on an EPIC collecting expedition because I would. :D I would kill to live there because I'd be in the damn water all the time.

Wrangy is spot on about the indirect bioload as well. Everything adds to the load of your tank in some way from live rock to fish. The trick is managing those loads. ;)
I've heard you both. No more till move & settled. I promise !! I think ! Lol

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I just did the math on what I see in your tank, wanna know what those pieces would cost here in the USA? Just a tad north of $2500. :eek:

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
You
I just did the math on what I see in your tank, wanna know what those pieces would cost here in the USA? Just a tad north of $2500. :eek:
Do you mean the FTS shot or just those pieces ? Please say whole tank ??

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Which is the whole reason I am doing the research as to why the Indonesian ones are dying and Australian ones live.
My money is on collection methods, the way they are kept and handled before being shipped and then the way they are shipped and processed through customs. Given the right combinations it would vastly effect the survivability of certain corals. That would be my guess :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
My money is on collection methods, the way they are kept and handled before being shipped and then the way they are shipped and processed through customs. Given the right combinations it would vastly effect the survivability of certain corals. That would be my guess :)
It's actually that and the same exact human borne pathogen that has just about wiped out the Elkhorn coral in Florida. They have placed some aquarium grown colonies back into the wild with amazing results. The captive specimens don't seem to fall prey to it for some reason and that's where a good deal of research is going on in Florida as I type this.