Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

Order Placed
I made an order for some new fish with @marinefishdirect last night. It consists of a Blue Tang, a Gold Headed Sleeper Goby, and because I can't get a new Red Line Wrasse to replace the last, a Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse. Funnily enough, we were seeking a Fairy Wrasse originally when we ended up with the mis-identified Red Line. I also ordered a couple of Turbos to top up recent snail losses.

I am very excited to receive my new fish. I still wouldn't mind a pair of pink skunks in a host anemone... But for now I'll just stick with what I have. My black and orange clowns are now pretty ignorant of each other- I'm considering obtaining another of each to try to satisfy their individual colour preferences. It's driving me nuts.

E

ezza

Two weeks after ordering, I'll finally receive some fish tomorrow o_0. I ended up buying my gold head sleeper goby from Fantasea in West Gosford because MFD apparently did not have the fish in stock... Despite the fish apparently being in stock when I ordered it weeks ago. Oh well. It's a great fish. He picks up mouthfuls of sand, gobbles the detritus and releases the sand from his gills.

I hope desperately that the wrasse and tang are ok when they get here tomorrow. The whole thing of ordering fish that end up having an overnight journey freaks me out.

Today I freaked my existing fish out with a Hydrogen Peroxide cleanse. I picked up 50% H2O2 from the local hydro shop (that was an experience!!) and proceeded to "dose" (more like went nuts squirting it over algae everywhere) the tank to try to get rid of the cruddy green hair algae and cyano I've had popping up lately.

We'll see how it all ends up- there are still some patches of GHA around (I squirted using an Aip-X syringe with metal nib so I was very specific and controlled the syringe containing 2.5mL at a time.)

By the end of my play time, bubbles were flying all over the tank and some GHA had indeed been killed. I'd like to see if it might remove some hydroids too. It does take out fireworms (I'm not sad!), bristle worms and pods (sad). They'll come back- the tank was a bit scuzzy looking and I couldn't work out why. Parameters are actually quite good. My KH is a bit too high... But we'll do a water change in the next couple of days and hopefully the impact of the H202 will level out.

I remembered dosing peroxide a couple of years ago. I forgot all about it. I never had such strong peroxide before though- I was using the supermarket 3% strength. It didn't bother the fish at all- but the corals all closed up. As they reopen this evening, the LPS and softies are showing a vibrancy they haven't had for a long time.

The only tiny downside is that the 3 tiny patches of green my one SPS had have browned. I was only really keeping it because my yellow coral goby likes to sit on the branches of the montipora and it has quite a beautiful hitchhiker Zoa or Paly on it. It has a real golden fringe around a pastel pink and purple ringed face. The piece was overtaken by GHA way back when I first bought it (I think a lot of the algae came on the piece), and I never could win simply picking it off.

E

ezza

Quite a lot of algae died but not enough! There are patches here and there of live algae and the rocks still have a fuzz that I fear I'll never be rid of it entirely. I brush the rocks with a plastic scrubbing brush every so often- maybe weekly. Some bits I can't reach and they look quite furry- but it's not alive in all places.. Just there.

The water becomes quite polished by the peroxide. I did notice that it pisses the snails and urchin off. It was fairly instant and they all detached from the walls. I think the bubbles congregate on those smooth surfaces more noticeably maybe. Some bristle/fire worms died (not before sticking me so my finger swelled to almost the size of my thumb). Obviously not all of them- Big Bertha is in there still.

Today's delivery was quite the debacle. The fish they told me they didn't have was delivered. It is the size of my 6 year old daughter's little finger- maybe her ring finger... Aka bloody tiny. That's the gold head sleeper goby. I had already found one that is like a skinny sausage you would feed to your 6 year old!!! He was healthy enough and is now somewhere in the display tank assumedly eating sand.

The blue tang (aka Dory) was upside down taking very slow gasps. He died before I could get my emergency hospital tank up and running. He was the tiniest tang. The last one we bought was tiny... This was TINY. I dare say -too tiny-. I ordered the 4-6cm sized fish. I haven't measured with a ruler, but he's small.
image.jpg

The fairy wrasse is still in the hospital tank. I am so glad my colleague dumped her children's plastic beginner goldfish kits on me now. This was an unused tank that's been sitting on our washing machine full of all the random bits I grab to do random fish things at random times. I am using the tiny HOB filter to provide gentle aeration and filtration just through a bit of filter floss. I grabbed a cheap 10watt 25 degree set heater from pet barn on the way home so I didn't have my massive tank heater in there.

The wrasse is about 5cm long. About the length of my index finger. He's gone from looking quite ill and slightly curled up to being still, breathing, not so much curled but not swimming and not eating. I put in just a tiny tiny couple of specks of dry food and a couple of mysis (really! Precision!) when I was feeding the big tank. He has eaten nothing. I just don't know what to do. I guess just keep him in this make shift system for now until tomorrow or until I see him eat. I also gave him a little plastic 'cave' to protect himself with. He moved nearer to it which is something.

In the interests of not destroying my baby girl with yet another fish bloodbath. I booked her into after school care (my day was sucked up quickly!) and ran down to my LFS. I once had an issue with them. Now we're best buddies. I basically pay them rent now. I have been in almost every day since the weekend. BY THE GRACE OF GOD (I can't take the heartbreak) they had 3 Blue Tangs in stock. I got a beautiful healthy eating little fish. He is happily home. He has hung out with The Nemos, played laps with Uncle Naso and has been busily sizing up crevices in rocks to see where he wants to sleep.

I also made a small chink in the bank account by buying a Lebout's Fairy Wrasse that was in a tank there. It is a gorgeous fish. Again, straight in the tank and he is a happy fellow.

I also grabbed a large frogspawn and a finger leather because it's been months since I bought some coral. I'll take a photo when I can get a decent shot.

My stomach just turned itself inside out. It may be stress it may be antibiotics for my surgery wound!!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Sad to hear the death's and sickness :( but awesome about the new baby tang and wrasse!! :D Can't wait to see some pics of the fairy :)

E

ezza

One fish...
Two fish...
Dead fish :(
image.jpg

NEW FISH!!! :D
image.jpg

And an FTS after I turned my blue lights down to be able to capture a vague photo. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing with this thing!
image.jpg

E

ezza

There's quite a size difference between Dory and the lipstick tang (he needs a name). They're very comfortable with each other.

image.jpg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
That wrasse is gorgeous :D fantastic score there!

Tank is looking really good too :) That scape is still awesome!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Call the Naso Frank, the transvestite's name from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. ;)

I don't know where that little Hippo tang came from, but I just brought in 12 out of Africa and they arrived in fighting trim, all were about 3-4cm. I lost 1 Convict tang. :(

E

ezza

Convict tangs are tricky. I had one once but it was frail and died within a week of buying it.