Tank Journal Archive

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Hey @firebird !
That looks great!! Are these pics from when you first set it up? Or are they new?
So you're using an airstone to run the water against it?
How long has it been running for now? Is it producing good results for you? (I have a vague memory of you mentioning in another thread that you had an up-flow one and that you didn't feel it was as good as a gravity fed one?)

Good work!!

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
@TheJordans
Thanks Bek
Set this up last Sunday so not running very long but I don't anticipate much of a cycle as used all the stuff from previous tank
This is a newly set up algae scrubber- is an upstream algae scrubber-utilises the airstone to force air bubbles up against the mesh- theory is that it forces CO2 in the bubbles up against the mesh for utilage by the algae if I remember correctly. Is slowly starting to show signs of the inital diatom and algae covering but has only been set up about a week.
They do seem to take longer to establish than the waterfalls and i think are probably less efficient. Have one like this on my other tank and it seems to be doing the job though.

I just don't have the space to set up a waterfall one and this is nice and compact.
Haven't named my nems yet ;)

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Awesome! I look forward to watching the progress!! Might have to try and set up something similar as a bit of a test!

Haha! You've gotta name them! I love getting a phone call from Les asking, "So what's Nem-Nem up tp today?" LOL (Though admittedly, Nem and Nom are really the only ones to still be called by their names. The rest haven't really stuck)

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Hey @firebird :)
Another Q for you, if you don't mind?

How are you lighting your ATSs? Do you use 24hr lighting like the traditional waterfall ones? Or just DT lighting?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
As Riaan says above=max 18 hours
The one on my DT currentlly gets about 6-8 hours of reverse lighting depending on how good the algae growth is. This one is currently set on 12 hours reverse lighting to get it to start off. I'm using a separate light for it-trying an experiment with my magenta/blue stunner and so far seems to be working. my other one is lit by homemade LEDS-red and blue

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
As Riaan says above=max 18 hours
The one on my DT currentlly gets about 6-8 hours of reverse lighting depending on how good the algae growth is. This one is currently set on 12 hours reverse lighting to get it to start off. I'm using a separate light for it-trying an experiment with my magenta/blue stunner and so far seems to be working. my other one is lit by homemade LEDS-red and blue
When you say reverse lighting, do you mean additional lighting that runs outside of DT hours? And is it lit from the outside?
Sorry to be a pain! Just thinking that I could probably hook something like this up in the pony tank!

Riaan_Tas

Jan 6, 2012
Parkwood Qld
Not going to take this post over ..... but yes .. you run the ATS lights when your main systems lights are off ..this way it helps with pH fluctuations at night ...

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
As above:)
Same sort of logic as running reverse refugium lighting
And yes=it is lit from the outside
Would be great for ponies re nutrient control