Tank Journal Archive

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
Planing Stage
Its crude plans but you get the idea, but what do you guys think? Have I got the right idea? The plan is to have some fish and one or two corals nothing big nothing fancy, very basic. So being dying to start for a while now, no I want to start. So I'm using a second hand tank.

But I got questions and may for dummy ones,

1. What size weir?
2. What size holes?
3. Where to get my tank cut?

IMG_0429.PNG

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
If it's your first marine tank, I highly recommend getting something already setup ready to go. Your going to have lots to learn and worry about before tackling aquarium and weir design just yet.

I started with a used Red Sea max 130l tank and it was the best thing ever. Allowed me to get my head around the basics before branching out. Four years later and I still have that tank running :)

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
If it's your first marine tank, I highly recommend getting something already setup ready to go. Your going to have lots to learn and worry about before tackling aquarium and weir design just yet.

I started with a used Red Sea max 130l tank and it was the best thing ever. Allowed me to get my head around the basics before branching out. Four years later and I still have that tank running :)
Where you find yours? Have been trying to find something affordable that's already setup as well, but I also thought I could get started on this. I've been keeping a nano tank for about 5 months now, which seems to be working fine.

I'm open to taking the time to learn but just wanted to get under way even if it takes me months to get going.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
There are tanks coming up for sale daily. Keep an eye on the Facebook
Groups for marine aquariums.

Alternatively, there are plenty of new options that are ready to run, or your local fish store can build something for you.

Of course, build yourself if confident - don't let me influence you!

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Crude? I think that drawing represents a high level of sophistication!

I'd recommend going atleast 50cm deep. I have 45cm only because I was going minimal tank size.

I'd recommend going three foot minimum. Whether that's 90x45x50 or 90x60x50. The 37cm depth is doable, but it's squashy when you start adding live rock and you want to keep the rocks a good inch or two from the glass to allow for cleaning.

I had a 30 gallon to start with (80x33x50) but soon grew out of it.

One thing I think everyone here will agree on, whatever size you go, get atleast 8mm glass, preferably 10mm. Beware a lot of the smaller all in one aquariums may only use 6 mm glass.

There's tonnes of cheap second hand aquariums out there. Don't buy fancy to start with as you're likely to scratch the glass etc as you gain experience with live rock.

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
How about placing the bulkheads on the bottom of the external overflow box? This would shave off a bit from the total footprint (front to back). Provided you don't glue the standpipes into the bulkheads it will be simple to tweak the heights of the elbows as you can just cut pipe to the right height.

1. What size weir?
A longer weir will make less noise than a shorter one (assuming the same amount of water travelling across it) so I think wider is better, assuming it will not get in the way of other equipment (such as light stands / return lines etc).

2. What size holes?
Pick a pipe size (25mm?) for the drains, then look for bulkheads (often called tank fittings) to fit that pipe size.
See here for the hole sizing chart for hansen fittings.

3. Where to get my tank cut?
Drilling the holes for the bulkheads should be an easy DIY job (Google will find you loads of tutorials), or you can ask around LFS.
In your drawing it looks as though the weir is ground out of the back pane of the display tank. You could try glaziers or LFS to do this, but it takes a lot longer than drilling holes so costs more in labour.
My first tank was built with an integrated weir and I doubt that I would do it again - an alternative is to have a second, internal box for the weir (such as black acrylic) and then drill the rear of the tank to allow water to flow from the weir to the rear overflow box. The internal box can be quite slim and unobtrusive because it does not contain any plumbing. You also have the option of having a much larger weir (eg. internal coast to coast) with a smaller rear box.

It could be a good idea to plan where your return line will go before committing to anything.

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
There are tanks coming up for sale daily. Keep an eye on the Facebook
Groups for marine aquariums.

Alternatively, there are plenty of new options that are ready to run, or your local fish store can build something for you.

Of course, build yourself if confident - don't let me influence you!
Not confident at all but trust I'll get some good advice from the forum and where ever else, everyone has been pretty supportive and helpful which is good.

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bankstown/fish/red-sea-max-130/1136240120
What do you think of this one?

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
an alternative is to have a second, internal box for the weir (such as black acrylic) and then drill the rear of the tank to allow water to flow from the weir to the rear overflow box. The internal box can be quite slim and unobtrusive because it does not contain any plumbing. You also have the option of having a much larger weir (eg. internal coast to coast) with a smaller rear box.

It could be a good idea to plan where your return line will go before committing to anything.
Know where I can get one of these?