Tank Journal Archive

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Plans
Plans are to have this thing stocked/used as a grow out for the 6 foot tank. A display frag tank if you will.

As the shop tank has the rics and zoas (and one fancy little hammer) this tank will be stocked with the higher end/ higher demanding corals as it is in my living room and I can see/monitor it daily.

I'll be running this bare bottom and with a skimmer and reactor. Normally on tanks this small I wouldn't bother but I figured if I'm going to be aiming for show piece corals I better pull out all the stops.
I'm a fan of tanks with less rock work. Especially with a display area this narrow, it can be hard to scape a tank with the recommended pound per gallon thing. So I've got roughly 9 pounds of rock. I think that's 4.5 kgs or something like that. Anyways.

There is HEAPS of flow in this tank (or at least, will be once the Tunze gets here. Roughly 76x the flow. The spin streams are pretty nifty, I'm a fan of the random current they produce but can't really make a real review until I see them in action with some corals.
Currently the way the lights are there is a bit of a dark spot in the middle, but that's because with the height of the new tank, where I've mounted them brings them too close to the water. Everything I've read said if I have them about 8 inches from the water surface they should get good coverage and still leave me with decent PAR readings to allow for SPS placement throughout. And a clam. Gotta have one of those.

I have no idea what types of corals. Other than SPS. I like to make spontaneous decisions when it comes to corals. Which is pretty well the worst thing ever but I figure, if I get a tank set up and it ticks all the boxes for the general type of coral, it wouldn't be too hard to make little tweaks here and there for the fine tuning.

More photos etc when the rest of the stuff gets here!!!
IMG_0692.JPG