Tank Journal Archive

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Plumbing And Filling
So we were lucky enough to have the Famous Dave, we all know from Deer Park Aquarium assist and design the plumbing for the sump, weir, sulfur reactor and phospahte reactor.

The Weir is the usual type, with three holes (durso, emergency and return). the fourth one you see on the right is the drain pipe for easy water changes.

We had Dave get us some custom cut perspex to then cover the weir. the perspex has slits in it half way for draining the tank.

The return is set up with a diversion to supply water to two seperate out lets with valves to control. one is currently not being used. the other outlet runs into a 3 chamber unit. Same chambers you see on an RO unit. The units run in line with a tee off between the phosphate and sulphur beads. The reason for this is so i can run the Aquamedic phos at 600 L an hour and then run the Sulphur beads via Calcium Carb at 3 L an Hour. Calcium used to pull the PH back up from the sulphur beads.

Also plumbed in is the dosing pump which you'll see neatly tucked at the back.

20151203_105734.jpg

20151209_173939.jpg

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4264.JPG

IMG_4294.JPG

Nicole placed all her rock into the tank (being very particular). We had prepared the rock a little earlier by cycling it in a separate tub with media to remove the silica. Also went with the idea of cutting egg crate to fit each rock base to help with stability but also looking to the future when the twin spot gobies try to dig up every inch of sand.

The sand was then added. We used Caribsea aragonite (sugar sized), It's so white and fine and creates a realistic sea bed look after being moved around by the pump.

We ended up filling the tank by hand, so was a fair few runs down to the local fish shop. Plus a great workout at the same time.

IMG_4259.JPG

IMG_4281.JPG

IMG_4293.JPG

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Well I know who made that sump! There's only one individual I know that loves having the high back and lower front haha scape and setup is looking really slick mate! You two have done a top job :)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Well I know who made that sump! There's only one individual I know that loves having the high back and lower front haha scape and setup is looking really slick mate! You two have done a top job :)
Is there any reason why the sump is made like that?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Is there any reason why the sump is made like that?
ooops lol I didn't even see this haha

Yep, mainly for splash and cleanliness, along with a good spot to mount dosing tubes and such out of the way when the power goes out.

Maybe so you don't forget which side is the front of the tank? :P haha It's a bit of extra work but I actually really like the idea of having that little bit of extra glass as protection.