Tank Journal Archive

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Po4 Bound Up In Live Rock.
I've put 3 pieces of live rock in the holding tank and as soon as I can transfer my fish, I'll start transferring the rest of the rock to the tub for treatment. Since I'm treating in a tub anyway I've decided to try for the best result I can get by using Lanthanum.

I've never used it before but it looks like just the shot for what I'm doing. I'll check the data sheets for a couple of the 'pool starver' products then make my choice. From what I've read so far, I'm leaning toward diluting it and feeding into the drum/bin using a drip method to give it the best chance of actually find PO4 to bind with.

Other than that, the plan remains the same. Twice weekly water changes (RO/DI) in the bin for a month. Water movement will now be via a 5000lph return pump I have in the shed with a SCWD I have in my box of bits, attached to the outlet.

Looks like I've lost every single coral except 1 finger leather which I seem to have got a viable frag of. Once the tank is up and running again I'll be seriously frag hunting. If I can achieve suitable & stable enough parameters for 6 months, I might even take my first go at some easier sps.

Oh and I also found that one of the old power heads that I had decided to ditch anyway, was leaking current into the tank. Given the things I've discovered during the gradual tear down, I'm taking it on the chin as it's a great chance to test and retest everything to avoid accidents.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Another quick update. That initial holding tank crashed totally. I can only guess that there were toxins in or on the rock.

So now a new holding tank (different tank) will have to be cycled from scratch and I'll use those green scourers I like to house bacterial colonies.