Reef Discussion

E

ezza

That stuff is amazing! Jaycar says, "Polymorph will change the way you make parts. It's a commercial grade thermoplastic that softens enough to be formed into any shape at around 62 - 65° C. You simply heat the pellets in hot water or with a hair dryer. It hardens at room temperature to form a tough plastic material similar in consistency and colour to Nylon. It can be drilled, sanded, ground, machined or heated and reformed again and again. Endless uses in model making, craft, single part manufacture, prototyping, engineering, science, lab, clinical applications and more."

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I've used it for a few years in many applications (although not frag mounting yet). It is sensational at making custom things. I find it is best at making nice ergonomic handles on things (as you literally melt it it, put it on the handle of what you are using and squeeze. Give it a few minutes to cool (or pop in the fridge if possible) and presto! Customised ergonomic handle :)

It's also great for making quick repairs to plastic items that saves you modelling and printing out on a 3D printer. Like if a tray in your fridge cracks, melt some polymorphic plastic beads, squish over the crack and it's fixed. If it doesn't stick to that type of plastic, simply remove it and glue it in place (will be a perfect fit)

E

ezza

I've used it for a few years in many applications (although not frag mounting yet). It is sensational at making custom things. I find it is best at making nice ergonomic handles on things (as you literally melt it it, put it on the handle of what you are using and squeeze. Give it a few minutes to cool (or pop in the fridge if possible) and presto! Customised ergonomic handle :)

It's also great for making quick repairs to plastic items that saves you modelling and printing out on a 3D printer. Like if a tray in your fridge cracks, melt some polymorphic plastic beads, squish over the crack and it's fixed. If it doesn't stick to that type of plastic, simply remove it and glue it in place (will be a perfect fit)
You have just solved every last mystery of the plastic universe for me! I am having so much trouble with my lack of strength and dexterity in my hands, I might get some of this to see if I can make some things to help me hold and grip bits and pieces better. The idea of fixing cracked plastic is brilliant too!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
You have just solved every last mystery of the plastic universe for me! I am having so much trouble with my lack of strength and dexterity in my hands, I might get some of this to see if I can make some things to help me hold and grip bits and pieces better. The idea of fixing cracked plastic is brilliant too!
It makes a lovely difference to those horrible 1980s handles on those dysons...

E

ezza

It makes a lovely difference to those horrible 1980s handles on those dysons...
:) my vacuum is amazing! No complaints :) I have a lot of trouble in the kitchen now, and I can't turn the laundry taps on most of the time. I got a tool from big w to kelp with the kitchen, taps are another thing and I think that's where this stuff might help.