Tank Journal Archive

Clarityreef

Mar 22, 2015
Porous Material Fresh From The Beach - Possible Bio Media?
I recently took a trip up the coast and found many of the beaches washed up material at reminded me of live rock.
It is very light and porous, but looks like a rock. (or could be a died sponge). It looks like it floats but sinks when filled with water. Picked it up on the sand, fully dried out. Cracked one open and plenty of pores. Im not even sure what it is. Can anyone guess?

Could it be used in marine tank as a biological filter? or anyone tried?

Attachments

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Its not volcanic rock is it? Does it feel like "matrix" ?

I have tried it as a biological filter but struggled to get all of the air out of it and it would inevitable float.

I think my bit is currently in @leodb89 frag tank being weighted down under a rock.

Clarityreef

Mar 22, 2015
I found it along Caves beach NSW. Mine sunk when in water and remained hard as a rock. I have yet to put it in my sump.
I dont believe it is a sponge, could be volcanic.
I collected other pieces as well that a round the size of marine pure spheres.

corals

Nov 4, 2013
Canberra
Yes it's extrusive igneous rock or pumice. It's all along the East Coast due to a volcanic eruption in the pacific about 3 years ago. Yes it floats. No one I know has ever tried it as a media. Great for reducing the roughness of your hands or feet in the bath.

E

ezza

I tried using pumice in my sump. I had it in there for a while, but never noticed any real impact on nitrate reduction. The big prob for me was that all my pumice floated. I tried it in a reactor, it just went a bit yuck. I tried it in a bag under the overflow pipe, it just floated in the bag. I tried it in a section of the sump and it just floated like a raft on top until I decided to call it a day on the experiment.

I recently bought marine pure and was given a better skimmer. Much better.