Tank Journal Archive

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Looking Good. If you haven't already done so I suggest you think about ventilation.

Personally I'd recommend a external wall mounted exhaust fan. This can be hooked up to a STC-1000 Temp/Humidity controller (from ebay). The controller is small enough to be mounted into a standard GPO blanking plate and will switch the fan on or off based on EITHER Humidity OR Temp (but not both).

Don't underestimate how stuffy or hot it will get in that room if you don't ventilate it properly (I learnt the hard way) and the (negative) effect that will have on pH

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
already looks 100x better then it started. Also awesome that the back room was a bathroom to begin with, already a water supply and a floor waste which will save you some floodings no doubt:p

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I'm watching your progress with interest. I too suggest you take special care with ventilation of that room. Once mould gets hold it quickly escalates to other problems.

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Thank you all for the feedback and ideas.
Currently only have a small wall vent installed. I have thought about ventilation, however until your posts probably put it on the not so important list.
You've kicked me back into gear and i will make it a priority so thank you,
Macca75 i will look into the STC-1000 Temp/Humidity controller (from ebay). Cheers

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Depending on what direction your walls face, I've seen some very good solar vents. The wind driven ones that go on the roof are good for temperature control but wall/window mounted ones are better for humidity.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Thank you all for the feedback and ideas.
Currently only have a small wall vent installed. I have thought about ventilation, however until your posts probably put it on the not so important list.
You've kicked me back into gear and i will make it a priority so thank you,
Macca75 i will look into the STC-1000 Temp/Humidity controller (from ebay). Cheers
:banghead I got confused.

I used the http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/temperat...92?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35c02abfe0 for the humidity controller - the STC-1000 is what I used for my heaters.

Check out http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/building-the-tank-room.7529/#post-110274