Tank Journal Archive

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Post 5: Sump In - Get Some Flow Happening
Finally received the sump yesterday and got straight to work constructing a base frame and support for it to sit on BESIDE the tank.
Love having it out from under the tank as its so easy to access.

I've now plumbed it all up and have the RO unit pumping more water in so the tank overflows and the sump fills. As soon as i get the sum level where it should be I will be adding salt, cranking the heater and getting some flow going.

Hoping my Apex arrives prior to christmas but i know these things always take longer than promised. I am really keen to monitor the levels right from the beginning so when adding either LIVE ROCK, or DRY ROCK I can see the cycle begin as well as monitor temps, PH, and Salinity.

Would love any feedback on Live Rock v Dry Rock ?????
IMG_2235.JPG
IMG_2235.JPG
IMG_3018.JPG

Wanted to keep the Sump Station clear and Not Connected to any walls or the tank frame as I was keen for the vibration from the Skimmer and return pumps not to vibrate through the walls. I there for set the Frame and Base as stand alone separate from everything in the room and raised up above a basic 1 inch thick foam matt from Bunnings (Blue Matting). I will let you all know how it works :)
IMG_3020.JPG
IMG_3022.JPG
IMG_3026.jpg

Good size Refugium which is fed by a little Eden 126 pump.
IMG_3025.JPG

Got talked into this Heater by the boys at my LFS. I guess i will just have see how it goes.
I really like the fact that it shows the current temp on the LED Display rather than just showing the temp it is set to.
IMG_3023.JPG

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
That is such a cool sump design!
Thanks Holly
Guys down at Seview Aquariums on Anzac Highway in South Australia built both the tank and my sump. (Rick)
They know their salt water aquariums which makes things easier. Good to get ideas on Reefuge and then get them confirmed by the guys at the LFS

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Finally received the sump yesterday and got straight to work constructing a base frame and support for it to sit on BESIDE the tank.
Love having it out from under the tank as its so easy to access.

I've now plumbed it all up and have the RO unit pumping more water in so the tank overflows and the sump fills. As soon as i get the sum level where it should be I will be adding salt, cranking the heater and getting some flow going.

Hoping my Apex arrives prior to christmas but i know these things always take longer than promised. I am really keen to monitor the levels right from the beginning so when adding either LIVE ROCK, or DRY ROCK I can see the cycle begin as well as monitor temps, PH, and Salinity.

Would love any feedback on Live Rock v Dry Rock ?????View attachment 20864View attachment 20864 View attachment 20866
Wanted to keep the Sump Station clear and Not Connected to any walls or the tank frame as I was keen for the vibration from the Skimmer and return pumps not to vibrate through the walls. I there for set the Frame and Base as stand alone separate from everything in the room and raised up above a basic 1 inch thick foam matt from Bunnings (Blue Matting). I will let you all know how it works :)
View attachment 20867 View attachment 20868View attachment 20871
Good size Refugium which is fed by a little Eden 126 pump.View attachment 20870
Got talked into this Heater by the boys at my LFS. I guess i will just have see how it goes.
I really like the fact that it shows the current temp on the LED Display rather than just showing the temp it is set to.
View attachment 20869
Mixing in tank is not a good idea because salt will accumulate in corners etc no matter what you do. If you insist on that route, be prepared to manually agitate where it settles, several times a day for several weeks, seriously. Also dont put any rock in or you'll get toxic salt pockets building up.
Also DO NOT set your water levels with ro water as salt water is a different density and you risk flooding or running your pump dry.

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Good call Ian G I am a very patient person and will do the time when it comes to mixing Salt.
Thanks for the heads up
I will make sure I check the water levels as i add salt and monitor the tank over a week or so before adding any rock
CHeers

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Good call Ian G I am a very patient person and will do the time when it comes to mixing Salt.
Thanks for the heads up
I will make sure I check the water levels as i add salt and monitor the tank over a week or so before adding any rock
CHeers
I like it when people can benefit from mistakes I've already made.:rolleyes

Last edited:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Hook up a STC-1000 top control your heater - you'll get far better control over your temp. Set your heater about 1 degree higher than what you set the STC as a backup. Also best of getting 2 heaters in case 1 fails - better to work 2 1/2 as hard than 1 flat out ;-). Personally I run a powerboard off the STC and have the 2 heaters plugged into it.

See http://macca.myreef.info/daily.html for an idea on how stable you can get your temp (I have no cooling methods, so really trying to point out the sections where the heater comes off and on). Prior to the controller it was a 1 or 2 degree swing.

Love the fact the sump is raised - makes it easier to syphon/clean when the debris builds up. Definitely something I am going to do on my next sump. Have you thought about plumbing something in the side of the return section of the sump to a drain in case of accidental over filling?

And if salt does accumulate just point power heads to the corner (I have zero experience with AFS, just my thoughts). May as well get the water up to temp now anyway - might take a few days.

Keep the updates rolling in - loving them.

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Hook up a STC-1000 top control your heater - you'll get far better control over your temp. Set your heater about 1 degree higher than what you set the STC as a backup. Also best of getting 2 heaters in case 1 fails - better to work 2 1/2 as hard than 1 flat out ;-). Personally I run a powerboard off the STC and have the 2 heaters plugged into it.

See http://macca.myreef.info/daily.html for an idea on how stable you can get your temp (I have no cooling methods, so really trying to point out the sections where the heater comes off and on). Prior to the controller it was a 1 or 2 degree swing.

Love the fact the sump is raised - makes it easier to syphon/clean when the debris builds up. Definitely something I am going to do on my next sump. Have you thought about plumbing something in the side of the return section of the sump to a drain in case of accidental over filling?

And if salt does accumulate just point power heads to the corner (I have zero experience with AFS, just my thoughts). May as well get the water up to temp now anyway - might take a few days.

Keep the updates rolling in - loving them.
Loving the feedback and ideas thanks all
I will look into the STC 1000 as i am keen to get things done well. Thanks macca
The sump is designed so that if the power goes off the water that could siphon back down the pipe is not enough to overflow the sump. Whilst at the same time if the return pipe was to fail or get blocked the water in the sump is not enough to overflow the tank. I am however keen to have any other measures ready for when a problem occurs so thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of an overflow just in case on the sump.
Im just about ready to crank the heater and will follow you by adding two as your point is spot on. Must also read up on the STC1000.
Cheers