Reef Discussion

Prazipro
Hi
Has anyone ever used PraziPro in a mixed reef tank? I have a tang that is eating well however is getting very thin, I believe he has fluke.

From what I have read the biggest problem with PraziPro will be my Coco worm, I can put him in my QT tank however I don't want to harm my other corals.

Thanks.

aus996

Oct 7, 2013
its a de-wormer so any worm is going to die, if you have a large worm population ( bristle etc) then this die off could impact the tank, best to medicate in a separate tank if you can (cheaper to) he wont be happ yin smaller tank but its only for a short period and you can concentrate the feeding regime as well

Good news got both my tang out of the display tank and into the QT, seemed far too easy! I also have something from my local friendly pharmacist to treat him with.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I would NEVER put any medications in a display tank, been there, done that, dealt with the crash that followed. Any time you're attempting to poison something, be it a worm or other parasite there will be collateral damage. I was shaking like a dog shitting razor blades the first time I dipped a coral in insecticide and it stayed in quarantine for 3 weeks to make sure all of the dip was gone.

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Hi
Has anyone ever used PraziPro in a mixed reef tank? I have a tang that is eating well however is getting very thin, I believe he has fluke.

Guess I'm curious why you're sure you have flukes? Many species are not visible to the human eye, others are clear and hard to see, although some admittedly are quite visible but can be confused with other diseases.

Just in case you don't know, praziquantel and prazipro are different meds.
Praziquantel is the active ingredient. Unfortunately it's virtually insoluble in water, which is why prazipro is a big seller in the states. I have used prazipro routinely (for some fish) as part of a quarantine process. Have to say, I don't like using it for a few reasons. It's like turning your qt into a nutrient rich soup, especially after the second dose.:(

If you add praziquantel to your reef tank I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have because of poor solubility. If you add prazipro, the sugar in the solution is like carbon dosing (without using a skimmer).:banghead

Finally, flukes are common with some fish, but there are many kinds of flukes. There are some that live only on certain fish, but don't kill their host eg firefish, certain triggerfish. OTOH the ones that complete their life cycle on the fish can easily kill fish and are usually non selective with the fish they infect. Just to complicate things further Prazipro will treat most, but not all flukes.

Guess my point is that I'd try to ascertain what I have before treating the fish, especially in a DT. JMO

HTH and good luck!

Guess I'm curious why you're sure you have flukes? Many species are not visible to the human eye, others are clear and hard to see, although some admittedly are quite visible but can be confused with other diseases.

Just in case you don't know, praziquantel and prazipro are different meds.
Praziquantel is the active ingredient. Unfortunately it's virtually insoluble in water, which is why prazipro is a big seller in the states. I have used prazipro routinely (for some fish) as part of a quarantine process. Have to say, I don't like using it for a few reasons. It's like turning your qt into a nutrient rich soup, especially after the second dose.:(

If you add praziquantel to your reef tank I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have because of poor solubility. If you add prazipro, the sugar in the solution is like carbon dosing (without using a skimmer).:banghead

Finally, flukes are common with some fish, but there are many kinds of flukes. There are some that live only on certain fish, but don't kill their host eg firefish, certain triggerfish. OTOH the ones that complete their life cycle on the fish can easily kill fish and are usually non selective with the fish they infect. Just to complicate things further Prazipro will treat most, but not all flukes.

Guess my point is that I'd try to ascertain what I have before treating the fish, especially in a DT. JMO

HTH and good luck!
It was my best guess, I have treated him and fresh water dipped him. He is now very happy, eating and seems to be putting some weight back on in my QT tank.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get him out of my display tank, however a little food and he was mine. In the end my problem was solved.