Tank Journal Archive

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Redsea Salt Vs Coral Pro Salt - Improving Anemone Colours
To improve the colours of my anemone, and ensure the best environment for them, I've research the preferred WP, and sent an email to RedSea to confirm these findings/assumptions and request their opinions. Thought I'd share their response, and seek any personal experience, opinions and advise from this forum...

REDSEA's Chief Scientists.....Anemones are closer to soft coral and are less tolerant to low nutrient systems, but they also do not require high foundation levels, I would suggest keeping the parameters between the soft coral and LPS coral as listed on the attached.

You are then correct that Red Sea salt is a more preferential option to Coral Pro. I would simply dose the colours on a 10:1 ratio Foundation A to Colours ABCD rather than individual testing and dosing of the colours. To better elaborate, our Foundation Program and our colours program are linked. our research lead us to believe that the amount of Calcium a coral uses is directly proportionate to the amount of all the other chemicals that a coral is made of, and draws in from the water Column. With this in mind, when you dose our calcium supplement, for every 10mls of this, the proportionate dose is 1ml of each of the coral colours. Therefore example, if your required dose of Ca is 30ml, the dose of Coral colours will be 3ml ea.

---------

I did a complete test of my WP, and the results...

PH - 8.1
Mg - 1480
KH - 7.7
Ca - 390
Salinity - 1.027
Nitrates - 10ppm
Phosphates - 0.04
Phosphorus - 0.025
Iodine (I2) - 0.03
Iron (Fe) - 0
Potassium - 446

Nitrates are starting to drop, after the episode of removing 30% of live rocks. 10-20 ppm over 2-4 weeks, but no visible negative effects on the anemone.

Surprised with the low levels of Iodine and Iron, and immediately dosed 1/8 of the suggested dosage of Coral Colours A & B. Still researching on iron and the need to dose Colours C & D. So much conflicting information / experiences ... The research continues :-)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Iron is said to be good, but go slow homie, I tried iron when I kept clams but found addition of iron encouraged algae .

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
And last post before I go.....
Holy smoke your water is amazing... If I was a merman I would live in it.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Some say red sea is over priced and rated. However, after seeing the research and work (they test the range over long periods of time aswell) that goes into their range I would be more than happy to run their gear and to trust the info.

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Redsea impresses me with their customer service, and wealth of information in their forum, and vids etc.... Not sure about $$$ of all their products...wanted to find a all in one brand and to follow the system/recommendation, so that I can fine tune my knowledge amd not get confused with the various brands and products etc....

Looking for some feedback on the transition from the coral pro to redsea salt ? Or vice versa... On any notable difference to all coral ?

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I know what you mean about price. My old boy bought the reef foundations test kit (Contains three tests) in the UK for £23 in his lfs. Here at mine it was £110!

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
I believe the coral pro salt is formulated to maximise coral growth vs redsea salt, design for colouration ? The anemones seam to except both these salts well. I'm gradually reducing salinity and adding colours A&B , reef energy A&B @ 50% of the rcommended dosage, and will see whether these will assist in their colouration.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I absolutely love Red Sea salts. I had been using IO reef Crystals and I was still having a roller coaster on alkalinity, no more with the Red Sea salts. Back in the 70s and 80s we had a group that used Marine Environment because IO was so shit back then. I used to say that IO was good enough to kill brine shrimp. :D That carpet looks amazing.