Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Retun Manifold Planning
I have started planning my return line manifold :)

Some ideas I have included are the use of PVC Wye pieces
IMG_5056.JPG

They have worked really well for me in the past when I needed to create a branch line or take off from the main line.

I will then be using my Double Union Ball Valves for adjusting the flow to the reactor manifold and chiller lines.

Here is version 1:

IMG_5057.JPG

I am still trying to decide on how the chiller will be plumbed.

(1) Back to the display
(2) Back to the skimmer section of the sump.

If I choose option (2) I will rethink the manifold and have one off take for the reactor manifolds that is shared by the chiller.

The majority of the manifold will be constructed from 25mm PVC and 45 degree elbows.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Here is the 2nd version.
I like this one better :)
Simpler and less ball valves in the return lines.

I think the chiller feed and reactors will be easier to adjust in version 2
IMG_5058.JPG

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
looks very complicated.
Water will always travel in the path of least resistance so you will have top expect to fiddle a bit with your valves a fair bit.

What will you be feeding off the 12mm outlets?

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
looks very complicated.
Water will always travel in the path of least resistance so you will have top expect to fiddle a bit with your valves a fair bit.

What will you be feeding off the 12mm outlets?
I think the second version is simple :)
The 12mm feeds are for the TLF550 reactors that will use carbon or rowaphos and one will be spare.

I have always run multiple return pumps in the past to achieve this, but this time I'm trying to achieve a return manifold that allows me to run all the equipment, as well as adjust & isolate each piece easily.

I am thinking of a third version that has one wye piece that feeds the chiller and reactors for simplicity - still planning.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Version 3
I am happy with this version. It should provide the easiest for adjusting flow for the reactors and chiller as well as how much water enters the display
IMG_5059.JPG

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
The only other thing I do is add about a foot of flexible tubing to absorb some of the vibrations.
My return is via the weir so it is sort of essential.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
The only other thing I do is add about a foot of flexible tubing to absorb some of the vibrations.
My return is via the weir so it is sort of essential.
Yes I agree. I always use flexible hose to transition to the PVC. It's a great tip that can quieten down vibration and noise.

My first tank I setup had full PVC and the return pump hummed more than Bing Crosby at Christmas time:banghead. Lesson learnt !

I have not decided how the return will enter the tank yet - possibly an over the top style with an outlet at the opposite end of the overflow.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Your over-the-top loop worked pretty well, although I imagine it added a fair amount of head pressure ultimately.

I guess the return style depends on what you're wanting to achieve -- you could just simply direct it from the back wall downwards under the rockwork and use it to help drive detritus out which will be important not being BB. I've always found opposition returns in the main don't do much beneficial if you've got enough flow in the display.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Yes I was happy how the over the top returns have worked for me in the past n0rk :)

I'll have to wait unitl the tank is in place to plan the returns.

Small plumbing update - my 25mm PVC Y (WYE) pieces arrived last week.

It's all slowly coming together!
IMG_5122.JPG