Reef Discussion

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
My tank came with an Eden pump, been in there for about 4-5 years and have no complaints. Haven't had much experience with other pumps so won't comment on others. I have however had a skimmer pump go recently with no replacements in Australia.. Was an aqua medic pump.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
It is a 160 litre display.
Ok,
I have had first hand experience with Aquabee, Eheim, and Red Devil Pumps. I can recommend all these brands because they have worked well for me.

I have no experience with DC powered pumps and will let those with experience chime in.

Will the return pump's purpose be soley for returning water to the display, or will you tee it off for reactors or a chiller feed?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Some members don't like them, but there are quite a few that use the Jebao DC pumps from Fish Street - they are cheap enough that you can buy 2 and keep one as a backup.

E

ezza

I have gone through a few. Aqua one... need impellers and while pretty strong they will die because they are shit. I am onto my second Aqua Medic after the first one tried to electrocute me. The replacement keeps randomly failing for absolutely no reason and I was told by the guy at the shop that Aqua Medic will not honour a separate warranty on the second pump... So they can bugger off.

I am pretty sure I'll be ordering a Jebao from Fish Street. They are cheap as chips, Fish Street honour warranties and there is also a fabulous battery pack that will allow the pump to run in a blackout meaning I wouldn't be spending more than $200 for the lot. Sounds good to me. http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_dct_water_return_pump_au_delivery

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Sorry I have been busy the last few days, thanks for all the advice.
the tank I have ,is a blue planet corner tank , I had bought it 4-5 years ago with all the gear cheap of a friend who wanted out of the hobby and I wanted in.....ATM it has a canister filter built into the top and I am going to change it to a small sump I have made and place it in the same location, so the way its going to work is pump to sump gravity feed out, same principle as its current canister. I dont want to re-use the current pump being the third blue planet replacement... prob not big enough either ? (1200L/h)
I am going this way because I am sick to death of looking at the skimmer hanging off the front of the tank. it has no room for HOB anything.
I will post pics of what Im working with.

E

ezza

That's really cool @Col81! Those Aquaone skimmers are terrible. I am so glad I don't need to stuff around with mine anymore.

I ended up ordering a Fluval Sump Pump because my return pump died on Monday night. The Tech Den human helped me out and I'm hoping mine arrives tomorrow. Currently my 400L system with 50L sump is running off a 1400L/h aqua one pump that runs my pellet reactor! Rofl. Ah well, it's running at least.

You have a pretty small system so you would certainly have a lot available to you to choose from. You just need to make sure the water will travel the relevant vertical distance you require and keep a spare pump or impeller handy for emergencies. I will get a jebao to keep as a backup, along with the backup battery once I have a less desperate need.