Ric Went For A Stroll

Discussion in 'Reef Tanks' started by daveH, Feb 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,249
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    Aghhhh . . . My $$$$$ Ric decided it wasn't happy where is has been for 2 months and decided to let go and be free.
    I've got him lightly contained with some soft mesh on a rock to see if I can convince him to stay put.
    Anyone with a better solution??
    IMG_0484.JPG
  2. ReeferRob

ReeferRob Solidarité

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    United States
    State:
    Maryland
    That's about as good of a solution as any mate. I'm not much for gluing them in place. Try moving it to a lower light area.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. grimnir

grimnir Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    Can also sew them to the rock. I had to do that with a few that wouldn't hold.
  4. ReeferRob

ReeferRob Solidarité

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    United States
    State:
    Maryland
    Damn it Dave, my Elephant ear mushroom decided he didn't like where he was and is on the move, lol. I put a piece of rock under it to move it to a more shaded area. I think with these high power LED systems they need a place off on the side out of strong light. I don't recall them moving back when we had T12 lighting.
  5. Savage Henry

Savage Henry Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Let it walk! In fact do what you are doing to make it walk further because as it walks it might leave behind pups.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Savage Henry

Savage Henry Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    I'll fly up and remove the small lumpy bits left behind for you if you find them unsightly.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Savage Henry

Savage Henry Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Actually, I misunderstood the problem. I thought it was stuck to a rock and moving along the rock.

I have tried sewing them on with cotton thread, but haven't had much success that way. Probably had more success with a thin rubber band

Best success has been to float or hang a small container, like one of those fry-savers they use for live bearers (guppies) and position it in the tank with small rocks or frags inside. This creates a low-flow area, but with lots of light. Simply sit the ric on top of a rock or squashed between a few small rocks and it will bond).

I used one of the rigid plastic fry-savers and I have some foam around the outer edges so the thing floats by itself.

Some of those two-dollar shops, even Spotlight, sell clear acrylic containers with suction plugs that are meant to hold soap in the bathroom. They have holes in them. One of these will do as long as you can get it to hold on.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,249
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    I tried all sorts of ways to make it stay on a rock then I just placed it in the tank in between rocks so that the flow wouldn't blow it around and it seems to have worked. It's staying where I put it and is looking happy. Excellent.
  9. ReeferRob

ReeferRob Solidarité

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    United States
    State:
    Maryland
    Another thing I do is use small containers, like you'd get from the market with salads in them with holes drilled in them with small bits of rubble in there for it to attach to.
  10. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,249
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    Yep, tried that without any success. Put some light mesh over it and that didn't work. I was going to try a 4 inch nail but decided to let it attach itself where it wanted to in the tank but not somewhere I would loose it. So far so good.
  11. ReeferRob

ReeferRob Solidarité

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    United States
    State:
    Maryland
    Have you tried larger pieces of rubble Dave? I use pieces that are 3-5cm.
  12. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,249
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    It looks like it's settled where I put it. Just going to leave it alone to make up its mind.