Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Ric Went For A Stroll
Aghhhh . . . My $$$$$ Ric decided it wasn't happy where is has been for 2 months and decided to let go and be free.
I've got him lightly contained with some soft mesh on a rock to see if I can convince him to stay put.
Anyone with a better solution??
IMG_0484.JPG

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Damn it Dave, my Elephant ear mushroom decided he didn't like where he was and is on the move, lol. I put a piece of rock under it to move it to a more shaded area. I think with these high power LED systems they need a place off on the side out of strong light. I don't recall them moving back when we had T12 lighting.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Actually, I misunderstood the problem. I thought it was stuck to a rock and moving along the rock.

I have tried sewing them on with cotton thread, but haven't had much success that way. Probably had more success with a thin rubber band

Best success has been to float or hang a small container, like one of those fry-savers they use for live bearers (guppies) and position it in the tank with small rocks or frags inside. This creates a low-flow area, but with lots of light. Simply sit the ric on top of a rock or squashed between a few small rocks and it will bond).

I used one of the rigid plastic fry-savers and I have some foam around the outer edges so the thing floats by itself.

Some of those two-dollar shops, even Spotlight, sell clear acrylic containers with suction plugs that are meant to hold soap in the bathroom. They have holes in them. One of these will do as long as you can get it to hold on.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I tried all sorts of ways to make it stay on a rock then I just placed it in the tank in between rocks so that the flow wouldn't blow it around and it seems to have worked. It's staying where I put it and is looking happy. Excellent.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Another thing I do is use small containers, like you'd get from the market with salads in them with holes drilled in them with small bits of rubble in there for it to attach to.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Another thing I do is use small containers, like you'd get from the market with salads in them with holes drilled in them with small bits of rubble in there for it to attach to.
Yep, tried that without any success. Put some light mesh over it and that didn't work. I was going to try a 4 inch nail but decided to let it attach itself where it wanted to in the tank but not somewhere I would loose it. So far so good.