Tank Journal Archive

mcs

Jun 14, 2014
Rockscape And Sand In Fill Tomorrow.
IMG_6341.JPG

IMG_6340.JPG

Was told to come on here and make a journal by my friend Leg-it

Where my tank is currently.

Rockscape is complete after battling to stick it all together after a week, and sand is also in.

All Plumbing is done, equipment ready to go, just need to throw the water in and then cycle it up :).

Still a long way to go, but just glad to have gotten this far.

Cheers Mark~

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
scape looks amazing man! glad you were able to put the pieces into good use! don't even recognize them

Still have a few small pieces leftover if you wanna use em for a small rock island

definitely will be following this one

Reactions: mcs

mcs

Jun 14, 2014
Wicked scape mate!! Really slick :) what plans have you got for stocking??
Currently not 100% sure ill have to see what happens, but would love some SPS, fish wise probably pair of black & white occie clowns and maybe 1 other small fish, cuc + shrimp.

Nice scape. What did you use to put it together?
I used; plastic rods, superglue and about 3-4 big tubes of selleys aqua kneed it. It's a painful process as i was having trouble with keeping things together, and the top rock actually split in half, so i had to do a bit of stitching and extra rod to hold the bloody thing together.

But hard work payed off and I'm really happy with the end result, simple but pleasing to the eye, should look good covered in corals =].

Cheers.

E

ezza

I love the scape! It is so much better than the "upturned-bucket-of-rocks" look ;)

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Currently not 100% sure ill have to see what happens, but would love some SPS, fish wise probably pair of black & white occie clowns and maybe 1 other small fish, cuc + shrimp.

I used; plastic rods, superglue and about 3-4 big tubes of selleys aqua kneed it. It's a painful process as i was having trouble with keeping things together, and the top rock actually split in half, so i had to do a bit of stitching and extra rod to hold the bloody thing together.

But hard work payed off and I'm really happy with the end result, simple but pleasing to the eye, should look good covered in corals =].

Cheers.
That would have been painful but fun! haha. I use small black cable ties. Holds the scape together and after a few months the cable tie is covering in coraline growth and simply looks like part of the rock. Also, can use cabling to hold it together as the glue and kneed dries then cut the tie and remove. :)

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
View attachment 41566

View attachment 41567

Was told to come on here and make a journal by my friend Leg-it

Where my tank is currently.

Rockscape is complete after battling to stick it all together after a week, and sand is also in.

All Plumbing is done, equipment ready to go, just need to throw the water in and then cycle it up :).

Still a long way to go, but just glad to have gotten this far.

Cheers Mark~
Wow, that has got to be one of my favorite scapes ever.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Yeah i was inspired by all the bonsai styled reef tanks i have seen, def looks better than just a big lump of rocks haha.
funny how it is hard to vision what a grown out tank would look like when you're putting a scape together but looks like you have it down packed looks awesome as is and would look even better with some SPS up top...subscribing pretty sure a few of those rocks were once in my cube lol so once it looks amazing i will be claiming part ownership of it :P

what lighting are you going with on this?

mcs

Jun 14, 2014
funny how it is hard to vision what a grown out tank would look like when you're putting a scape together but looks like you have it down packed looks awesome as is and would look even better with some SPS up top...subscribing pretty sure a few of those rocks were once in my cube lol so once it looks amazing i will be claiming part ownership of it :p

what lighting are you going with on this?
Yeah it is quite difficult, to be honest this took me about 5 minutes of stacking the rocks in different ways to get a shape i was happy with, did not have alot of rocks to work with but they were all good shapes, so that would of helped alot.

Hahaha, part ownership who knew what i was getting into :P

On lighting i have a custom LED mounted in the original hood. 36, 3w led's

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Haha only joking mate glad Jono could help you out, its a generous community over here looking forward to seeing how this one goes :)

do you have much info on your custom lighting or is it fairly basic? love seeing DIY stuff cos im hopeless at it

mcs

Jun 14, 2014
Lucky for you i can tell you all about it, ill take pics at some point bit of a pain to yank it off for now.

It is fairly basic, it is 3 Mean-well Drivers Dont remember exact model, these are placed in a box that also has the 2 dimmers for the white and blue.

36 3w LED's Cree's (whites) and some cheapo ebay ones i used to replace burned out ones, which are half of the blues, seem to work just fine too :).

Heatsink, all LED's attached with thermal paste, and that's pretty much it, and all run linked same idea as christmas lights.

Keep it simple and its easy to fix, and replacing LED's is no problem at all.

Cheers Mark~