Tank Journal Archive

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Sad Update :-(
Well the corals are going great but unfortunately the fish have come down with marine velvet.

I have set up a hospital tank with sponge filter from the DT.

But I have lost a beautiful blue clown goby :-(

I have bought some copper and just now trying to find a copper test kit. If anyone if vic has be handy and could lend it to me id be very greatful.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
So sorry to hear this. ! Just been through similar problems although not with velvet. Having only ever read about velvet, could you tell me what the major differences are between velvet & the ich in appearance that My tank just experienced. At one stage the fish were so covered I was suspicious it may be velvet ? But thought process was velvet kills more quickly so fish would be dead by now, so must be ICH. ! Thanks & good luck hope it all goes ok ! :)

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
So sorry to hear this. ! Just been through similar problems although not with velvet. Having only ever read about velvet, could you tell me what the major differences are between velvet & the ich in appearance that My tank just experienced. At one stage the fish were so covered I was suspicious it may be velvet ? But thought process was velvet kills more quickly so fish would be dead by now, so must be ICH. ! Thanks & good luck hope it all goes ok ! :)
Sorry to hear you ave also had fish stresses.

They are both a parasite they have the same life cycle.
The appearence is a little different. Ich is spotty and velvet looks like dust.

Velvet is a more resilient parasite though and also has a higher death rate
It can handle higher doses of copper (up to 3.7ppm) which is approaching deaths door for fish as well.
Hyposalinity is also useless. Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) has been found in salinities ranging from 3 to 45 ppt.
where as Marine Ich. A salinity of 16 ppt for 28 days is usually recommended to kill marine Ich however Marine

I'm trying to get my hands on this stuff Chloroquine diphosphate