Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Seachem Purigen In Bag - Reusable?
Does anyone use Seachem Purigen in Bag?

It has now gone a tad brown after approx. 4 months and want to know if I can reuse it after washing, rinsing and dipping it in RODI water for perhaps approx. 24 hours?

ai58.tinypic.com_28rk00k.jpg

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
I believe purigen comes with instructions to replenish it.

I just found this on the Seachem site:

Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of Prime® or 16 grams of Safe® per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I don't have the need to use it anymore, but I preferred just to buy it again when I needed it rather than going through the replentish mucking around. The peace of mind that I was putting a correct product into my tank outweighed the small cost involved.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I don't have the need to use it anymore, but I preferred just to buy it again when I needed it rather than going through the replentish mucking around. The peace of mind that I was putting a correct product into my tank outweighed the small cost involved.
@daveH was thinking about it and I agree ... the use of bleach scared me a bit.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Completely agree with this.

How often do you cycle it @Sam Parker
no where near as often as I am meant to.....

I am meant to run a bag of purigen and a bag of chemi-pure and replace both every 4 months or so, but I tend to let them run for about 8-10 months now. In fact, last time I used chemi-pure blue instead of elite and added no purigen. But I'll probably go back to elite and purigen next time (which should be right now... LOL)

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
no where near as often as I am meant to.....

I am meant to run a bag of purigen and a bag of chemi-pure and replace both every 4 months or so, but I tend to let them run for about 8-10 months now. In fact, last time I used chemi-pure blue instead of elite and added no purigen. But I'll probably go back to elite and purigen next time (which should be right now... LOL)
@Sam Parker is this the elite you were referring to?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Nope - Chemi-pure Elite and Chemi-Pure Blue:
https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/filter_media.php
@Sam Parker been reading few articles from reef central and reef tank about CP Blue, CP Elite & Purigen. Since you've used few of these products combination, why are you opting back to CP Elite & Purigen?

Being me, i just have to ask this stupid question (anyone can answer), which chamber in the sump do you usually place these carbon media? Overflow chamber (inside the filter sock), skimmer chamber, return chamber?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
@Sam Parker been reading few articles from reef central and reef tank about CP Blue, CP Elite & Purigen. Since you've used few of these products combination, why are you opting back to CP Elite & Purigen?

Being me, i just have to ask this stupid question (anyone can answer), which chamber in the sump do you usually place these carbon media? Overflow chamber (inside the filter sock), skimmer chamber, return chamber?
I like the chemi pure elite and purified combo just because it's what is nearly always used. The blue version has a little proven in it, but like 1/100th of what a purified bag does. Plus the price works out similar.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Forgot to answer location. It goes in the Red Sea max 130 tank in the aftermarket InTank media tray. Basically is in the overflow :)