Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Second Spawn - Now 2 Months Old
I hadn't realised that it was a month since I posted a picture of my baby - it would now be around 15mm total length :)

It is growing, albeit slowly - it is still only eating gut loaded brine shrimp which I don't really think is nutritious enough for it at this age. Unfortunately, it won't touch anything else no matter how much time I spend with it :banghead

Some reports I have read indicate that if they don't convert to prepared foods in the first week or so then it becomes very difficult to convert them later. Having just the one also makes it harder - I would imagine that if one in a group took some other food then the siblings would be more inclined to have a try as well.

It has not yet overcome its apparent swim bladder problem - it has to keep swimming (in a jerking fashion) to stay afloat. I doubt that it will get any better and I will probably let this one go if the current spawn proves successful.

Banggai-8.jpg

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Nawww. So wondrous it is to have these cycles of life in your backyard. Hope the next batch does better.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
This is the last picture of my sole remaining baby Banggai - this was taken on 20/7/14.

Banggai-302.jpg

Unfortunately, it never overcame its swim bladder problem and I took the decision to euthanise it :(

Hopefully, my male will stop eating the eggs and I will have some more to raise soon.

'vspec'

Aug 26, 2012
Melbourne
See what happens when you feed em vodka..stir crazy haha
Good to see you my friend, remember to play some marvin gay, it helps with the spawning litter
BETA version.gif