Tank Journal Archive

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
So This Just Happened...
Well, after 6 months of planning, my 120ltr Mini Reef got a little bigger.

Tank has been wet for three weeks now, and with seeded marine pure, i transferred all my livestock over last weekend. Everything got a good dip and scrub, fragged anything i thought would bring over a friend, and got everything settled into its new home. So far, everyhing is actually looking better than it did in the old tank (no earthly idea why, but i'm not complaining). Corals are already starting to grow out again, and fish are loving the extra space!

ai.imgur.com_XmwqR3A.jpg

ai.imgur.com_YXQIbEU.jpg

ai.imgur.com_CfF0ae7.jpg

ai.imgur.com_dwkZVuh.jpg

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
Very nice! How are you finding two gyres in this size tank?
Gyres are amazing, massive for the tank so I've been running them in Lunar Tidal Cycles on 60%max. Really happy with them, quiet, and move a S**T ton of water. And having one controller for 2 pumps makes things really easy.

Last edited:

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
Nice setup - I really like the right hand bommie.

Any thoughts of covering the back?
It will be black, I'm waiting on a piece of a acrylic, should be ready at Deer Park, just haven't been down to collect it yet. I'm also going to be building a crown with aluminium Connect-It that i'll magnet panels too the same as the stand. I have a joiner making some Polytec bathroom cabinet panels for me that i'll rout magnets into. no hinges, easy access ;)

Last edited:

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
Good point - I missed the bit where he mentioned 'aluminium'.
They'll be "glued" onto Right Angle brackets, which will also be "glued" to the frame. Basically everything being stuck / installed permanently is being glued in place with T-Rex, its a "silicone" that is non toxic, mold resistant, paint able, bonds in seconds, sets in hours, and stronger than liquid nails. It's what is holding the shelf in, and the board for the power.

20161204_115529.jpg

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks guys!
Still a lot of work to do, its really not as clean as you think :p I'm probably going to look into extensions for my pumps and skimmer to try and remove as many cables running through the middle of the stand as I can. I'm also going to get a heap of cable wraps to get everything in the back corner sorted out and really tidy everything up, this is my first custom tank, so really want to make the most of it and do things right the first time.