Reef Discussion

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Solid carbon dosing
Is anyone using a form of solid carbon dosing on their tanks?

I am using 500ml of NPX Bio Pellets.
TLF 550 Reactors with an Aquabee 200/1 Pump to fluidize.

Will post some images later today.

I have been using them since October 2011 and have noticed an improvement in water clarity, similar to vodka dosing.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
I have Aquasonic Activated carbon in my internal filter, which is really just a media holder, and have seen pretty good results as far as water clarity and reduced skimate on the waters surface (I'm not using a skimmer nor have an overflow). Been using this peletised carbon for about 2 months (up to 2nd change) and my water has never looked better, even when I was using a skimmer. :)

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Solid carbon dosing is different from activated carbon ;) SCD is dosing organic carbon to a system for the purpose of multiplication of heterotrophic bacteria, whereas activated carbon is a chemical filtration agent for binding dissolved organics.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I was going to run some NP pellets in a reactor when I set my tank up, bought the reactor etc etc, to cut one long story short I started Zeovit but have always had it in my mind to run a hybrid zeo- NP method. something to tinker with in the future.

NP bio pellets seem to not have a huge following amongst Aussie reefers, they are a lot more popular OS.

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
I run the Pellets, have had mixed results thus far. This has been through user error though and not realising what I was doing (Lack of research).

Seem to be on the right track but just couldnt get the PO4 down to 0 (was under .10) I am now dosing the PhosE product to knock the last bit off.

So far so good, but it is still early days. I am also starting to use some Zeo products.

deanlh

Oct 20, 2011
Gold Coast
I'm in the process of getting new tank equipment etc and will be running pellets and carbon from the get go. I'm in for a lot of reading seeing that people are having such differing results...

Why do people stop using pellets ?

What else do you have to use with them/ dosing etc?

Cheers dean

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I was using biopellets with Rowaphos ,
I have since switched to zeo , Now i dont need to run Rowa anymore , Which is one of the reasons why i changed .
The pellets worked well for me as a nitrate reducer , But not so well as a phosphate remover ,
I was using the Prodibio as a Bacteria source with biopellets .

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
I ran at one time, Vertex Pellets, RowaPhos and dosed with BioAID (aquasonic bacteria). Nitrate was 0, phos was always around .04 to .06

Jarryd

Dec 31, 2011
Perth
can you run biopellets, activated carbon, rowaphos and n03p04-x all at the same time?

Bio-pellets takes 3-4 weeks to start, n03p04-x works instantly yes?