Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Some Pondering
It's strange really, I was thinking about the tank and the hobby and now you're all going to have to put up with me thought ramblings.
I've been in this hobby for 4/5 years now and I've yet to have my tank at a stage of what I would consider it to be a successful reef for any period of time. There was a period there with cade that was doing really well and I was over the moon with it and truly proud of the tank I had, that was pretty quickly destroyed by pest algae. Since then it's really just been bump to bump to bump and I really haven't felt a great deal of pride or feeling of accomplishment since then.
It's only really now that I feel that I'm starting to get somewhere with the tank. I've eliminated AEFW, bubble algae, bryopsis and caulerpa nummularia, all the pests that plagued me. It's meant I've lost a lot of stock and I'm now a master of the things that go wrong lol

Now that the tank is free, I feel it has a little more direction and motivation to it. I also feel that I might actually have a tank that is level with my knowledge as I've always felt I can't really stand on my advice sometimes. I know I know what I'm doing and that I can do it, I just feel that I haven't been there in a long time. I just want things to be nice, happy, colourful and growing lol. I want fat happy fish too lol

That all being said and done I've done some thinking and I need to get my ass into gear! I've finally got this calcium reactor sorted and pumping away (well not really but I don't have much demand in the tank yet lol), the nutrients are floating around the 10 and 0.03 area but I might bring those down a little more with AF. I desperately want to add some more fish as the tank feels so empty but I don't want to add things that aren't on my list!! I hate this dilemma lol. I might add some mozzie fish or something for some movement and not a lot of bio-load.

I'm also going to try to be a little more proactive for the next couple of months till things are rocking in a stride of some degree of stability with bi-weekly alk testing, weekly Ca and Mg testing and fortnightly nutrients (if I can be bothered lol). Then I might look into some trace dosing and maybe even an ICP test. The other front that's going to change is feeding the tank. At the moment I'm feeding live brine for a few days every second week and the fish love it! (unsurprisingly) but I've pieced together a brine hatching setup with some soda water bottles lol and I'm going to be trying out some baby brine feedings once there's a couple more fish in the tank in an attempt to start up a different experiment that might come to fruition soon :)

Anyway enough rambles, here's some pics lol

as25.postimg.org_u62xn9hbj_20170817_202129_01.jpg

as25.postimg.org_la5xojuun_20170820_114815_01.jpg

as25.postimg.org_z54870p9r_20170820_114820_01.jpg

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Gee Dom .you have over come some huge hurdles.
I think you are due to visit me , lets see what we can do about replenishing that lost stock .

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Gee Dom .you have over come some huge hurdles.
I think you are due to visit me , lets see what we can do about replenishing that lost stock .
It's been a rough run but I feel there's probably more experience to me now those things are over lol
I think that would be amazing!! :D I would love to see the new tank as well :)

Onwards and upwards mate!
Exactly :)

Looking like its starting to hit its strides!
Fingers crossed! haha

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
You will achieve exactly what you want
You are one of the most dedicated reefers I know & I have seen
You have succsess
I know exactly where your coming from
When I lost everything I had to
" talk " to myself
Create a plan like you have
I look forward too watching the progress ok this new road

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
You will achieve exactly what you want
You are one of the most dedicated reefers I know & I have seen
You have succsess
I know exactly where your coming from
When I lost everything I had to
" talk " to myself
Create a plan like you have
I look forward too watching the progress ok this new road
Thanks for that Lesley, that means a lot to me :)
Hopefully over the coming year we can both get our tanks cranking right along!! I'm looking forward to some more fish though!

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Looks aren't everything! You and your tank have achieved a lot over its journey. There's no doubt you'll find that success your looking for in the future i reckon mate. Though the journey there is just as important as we all learn from it through you sharing.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Looks aren't everything! You and your tank have achieved a lot over its journey. There's no doubt you'll find that success your looking for in the future i reckon mate. Though the journey there is just as important as we all learn from it through you sharing.
Thanks Matt :) onwards and upwards as they say lol we're moving along now though! Water change and clean today was nice :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
couldn't agree more