Sps Spawn
well after being lucky enough to witness a coral spawning in March last year
We once again witnessed it.
What a mess
But very pleased it's happened again
Considering I've lost a few pieces lately RTN :(

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Well done . Have you got some type of Luna cycle with your moon lights?
How did your skimmer go during the spawning?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You've come a LONG way from worrying about algae in the weir to have corals spawn. The only thing I've ever had spawn were leather corals and what a hell of a mess they make of a skimmer. It took 2 days to get the skimmer settled down to where it didn't overflow if you looked at it wrong.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Love it! Just fantastic to see them spawning in your tank Lesley :)

Imagine telling reefers ten years ago spawning acro in the home aquaria was possible :P

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
You've come a LONG way from worrying about algae in the weir to have corals spawn. The only thing I've ever had spawn were leather corals and what a hell of a mess they make of a skimmer. It took 2 days to get the skimmer settled down to where it didn't overflow if you looked at it wrong.
Omg. Did you have to remind me.
lol.
Thanks to great people on here
I've learnt an amazing amount
Thank you :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Love it! Just fantastic to see them spawning in your tank Lesley :)

Imagine telling reefers ten years ago spawning acro in the home aquaria was possible :p
I wonder what's changed.
It's interesting
Wish why knew. Why & how.
Thanks @Wrangy

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
What's changed is we've gotten smarter and learned from our mistakes. Hell, getting most things to live past the year mark was considered an achievement back in the 80s. Now we're breeding corals, angels and tangs in captivity, back then if you'd have told me that, I'd have told you you were crazy. We knew damn little of the chemistry and interactions back then, the best we could do was a calcium reactor and hope for the best. We didn't have a decent venturi skimmer here in the US that anyone could afford. The Tunze units back then were $600 if memory serves me correctly, a hell of a lot of money back then. I was making $15,000/ year in the Army. We had 4 salt mixes back then, Instant Death, Marine Enterprises, Marine Environment and Hawaiian Marine. Now there are at least a dozen and people are starting to use NSW here in the US. If I didn't have the plague I'd be out collecting water this weekend. I collect 3000 litres at a time.