Tank Journal Archive

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Started Hanging Lights - 99% Of The Way To New Lighting Setup.
So I'm just waiting on some epoxy to cure and then I'll be able to do the final wiring on the second fitting and fire it all up. I'm gonna get it going with the "beta" version of the controller (so I can tweak the jarduino sketch I'm going to be using in the final version).

I just hung the first fitting. Spent a little time in the roof the other day reinforcing the mounting point with 2x4s, across the rafters, so that the weight is spread out across the frame of the house.

Mounting points on ceiling:
ai.imgur.com_ySQrcZC.jpg

Top of light fitting:
ai.imgur.com_8ZxE1aF.jpg

The hanging points on the light fitting itself are stainless steel gas strut heads with 6mm internal threads. There are 6mm hex bit machine screws on the inside of the lid screwed into the strut heads. I highly recommend this method to anyone making their own lights - it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, just as effective, and easier to put together than any kind of wire balustrade system you can buy. Considering that either way you'd need to buy a hand swaging tool (like crimpers, sortof) - the cable swages, the steel cable, the machine screws, 10 gas strut heads all came to under 50 bucks.

Bottom of the light fitting.
ai.imgur.com_rGvhgWC.jpg

The pucks and lenses are really tiny, but they put out so much light.