Reef Discussion

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Stick It In Your Weir!
Is your weir just an empty chamber or do you put something in there?

I'm thinking about the feasibility of half filling it with coral rubble as a pod & shrimp refuge.

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
My weir collects quite a lot of detritus and old food and I vacuum every month or two. Any media would make that hard. I was only thinking today I could put a heater in there as my small sump is filling up.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
As you may know by now, I am sumpless and in the past I have used my weir to house my skimmer.

In the area below the skimmer I have used matrix, I think it might be the Seachem matrix. I have also included codium macro algae.

I always found heaps of bristle worms and pods in there and I came to the conclusion that water every mulm might collect there, it will probably be eaten by what lives in there.

Obviously, we need a discussion here about whether storing stuff in the wier will be a nitrate trap. I think it won't, but...

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I should also add that with my CADE I intend to put the Seachem matrix back in there and some macro algae of some sort.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
My overflow gets a lot of light and grows quite a bit of algae which i harvest regularly. I have tried putting media in it but it collects stuff and goes brown. In my situation i think its best with nothing in it. I guess i am using it as a pretty effective algae scrubber.

E

ezza

My overflow collects crap. Every now and then I vacuum it because it can be a hefty source of nitrates. One of my clowns jumped in there one day and after an hour of trying to catch it, I became intimately acquainted with the algae and mud collecting inside and realised that mine just needs lots of cleaning. The less dirt collecting in any one place, the better.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
At the moment I have 4 adult Trochus snails captive in the weir, the black eggcrate on top keeps them in and they pretty much control algae in there. The only light that really gets in there is through the sides as I have the front covered in black acrylic. Keeping Trochus in there has a side benefit because I regularly see baby Trochus coming out through the grill as they can fit through it.

There is a danger of detritus build up but let's face it, we all have dead spots somewhere in our tank and whenever I reboot or restructure this tank, I find very little buildup inside the weir apart from the occasional fine sand that gets blown about. Like @Savage Henry I think something eats whatever gets in there.

@ezza is right of course about the less build up the better but so far not too much of a problem. Adding more rubble may change that but I think I might just have to suck it and see.

BTW I really appreciate all of everyone's input, it provides a very balanced viewpoint. Having had brain tumours removed twice, I sometimes wonder about my own logic and it's great to be able to bounce things of people.

Whatever I end up doing, it will all be recorded along with results, in my new TJ.

E

ezza

At the moment I have 4 adult Trochus snails captive in the weir, the black eggcrate on top keeps them in and they pretty much control algae in there. The only light that really gets in there is through the sides as I have the front covered in black acrylic. Keeping Trochus in there has a side benefit because I regularly see baby Trochus coming out through the grill as they can fit through it.

There is a danger of detritus build up but let's face it, we all have dead spots somewhere in our tank and whenever I reboot or restructure this tank, I find very little buildup inside the weir apart from the occasional fine sand that gets blown about. Like @Savage Henry I think something eats whatever gets in there.

@ezza is right of course about the less build up the better but so far not too much of a problem. Adding more rubble may change that but I think I might just have to suck it and see.

BTW I really appreciate all of everyone's input, it provides a very balanced viewpoint. Having had brain tumours removed twice, I sometimes wonder about my own logic and it's great to be able to bounce things of people.

Whatever I end up doing, it will all be recorded along with results, in my new TJ.
I'm glad you can share your ideas with us. I hadn't thought of keeping snails captive in the weir, yet I have algae down there!!! I'll get some more snails and let them go nuts.