Tank Journal Archive

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Stocking The Cube
I thought it was time for a quick journal update, although there's not much to report.

The tank has been wet now for about 9 weeks, and everything seems to be going nicely. Last weekend I was home alone so had the opportunity to spend some real time indulging my new hobby. I finally drilled a hole through the wall behind the tank into the storage cupboard on the other side. I've now got plenty of room to hide away the ATO reservoir and down the track maybe a dosing setup, auto water change reservoir, maybe even a calcium reactor, but I'm probably getting a bit carried away now :) After deliberating over ATO units for some time I finally settled on the Tunze 3155, which I found online for a very good price. I liked the design and price of the Smart ATO, but was put off by the reports of rusting magnets.

Over the last 3 weeks I have added some livestock to the tank. The tank is now populated by:

4 trochus snails
4 turbo snails
2 nassarius snails
1 strombus snail
1 RCL shrimp
1 Flame Hawk
1 Bangaii Cardinal

I don't plan to add any more fish for the next few months, and will now concentrate on introducing some corals. I thought I would start with some zoanthids and palys over the next few weeks, and keep a close eye on the mineral and nutrient levels before I get too ambitious. My biggest goal with this tank is to avoid killing anything, so I intend to move very slowly with introducing corals.

My RLC shrimp has been in the tank for 3 days now and seems to spend all his time in the cave except when the wave maker is paused during feeding time. I'm wondering if the flow is a bit too much for him?

This little dudette spends most of her time keeping a close eye on her humans while hanging upside down on the rock
image.jpeg

I've been surprised how much personality my Bangaii has. He/she is not shy at all and will follow me around the tank.
image.jpeg

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Coming along nicely mate :) Excellent choice in fish so far! ;) Love the flame hawk!!
I was originally keen for a longnose, but thought it might eventually outgrow the tank. The flame is such a cool little fish, whenever I look across at the tank, she's propped herself where she can watch me.

I'm still deliberating over the next fish. Would like to get an angel but not sure which. I love the lemonpeel but I hear they're not reef safe so probably won't risk it. Would also like a six-line wrasse, but will make sure I put a lid on the tank first. Also thinking a Midas or Bicolour Blenny. Decisions, decisions...:)

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Ask @Wrangy about his Bellus angle, part of the genicanthus family all of which are reef safe. A blenny would be a nice addition, they have tones of personality.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Looks awesome mate, but I wonder if it might be a bit too clean at the moment for the number of snails you have. The thought came to me as I have been reading up on how many snails I should get for my tank. Keep an eye on that. But, your flame hawk might eat them anyway?

I think your shrimp is concerned about your flame hawkfish too.

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Looks awesome mate, but I wonder if it might be a bit too clean at the moment for the number of snails you have. The thought came to me as I have been reading up on how many snails I should get for my tank. Keep an eye on that. But, your flame hawk might eat them anyway?

I think your shrimp is concerned about your flame hawkfish too.
I'm keeping the flame hawk well fed, and hoping he doesn't have a go at the shrimp. I was really keen to have a shrimp so I thought that getting one early while the hawk is still quite small would be the best bet.

The snails have been in the tank for over a month now, and the nas and turbos have already started reproducing. I might have been a bit premature with the stromb, but hopefully he'll find enough to eat. I also have a couple of small whelks that came in with the rock, I think I might fish them out soon as I know some species will eat clams and I really want to get a clam in a year or two.

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Ask @Wrangy about his Bellus angle, part of the genicanthus family all of which are reef safe. A blenny would be a nice addition, they have tones of personality.
I was actually admiring a Bellus in the acro tank at Deer Park last weekend. Nice looking fish, I will have to add it to the shortlist!

I'm really looking forward to getting a blenny in the tank. I'm more interested in fish with a bit of personality and interesting behavioural traits than good looks.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Rough guide to snails is 1 per 40 litres according to something I read at Advanced Reefkeeping, that's for a new tank, numbers can be increased later they say.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I was originally keen for a longnose, but thought it might eventually outgrow the tank. The flame is such a cool little fish, whenever I look across at the tank, she's propped herself where she can watch me.

I'm still deliberating over the next fish. Would like to get an angel but not sure which. I love the lemonpeel but I hear they're not reef safe so probably won't risk it. Would also like a six-line wrasse, but will make sure I put a lid on the tank first. Also thinking a Midas or Bicolour Blenny. Decisions, decisions...:)
You're not going to regret getting a flame hawk instead. I adore them and they have the absolute best personalities! :D Beware if you get a pair, have the tank covered! They don't really go after snails unless they're small stomela snails and you flick them into the water column haha then it's game on!

Angels are great, amazing fish and by far one of my favourite types fish :) My bellus is definitely a cutie though, pecks at my arm when it's in the tank just to remind me she's still there and she needs feeding haha Lemonpeels are really nice :) but as with all dwarf angels you do run a risk of coral picking and some never do, so it's your choice really. Six-lines are cool but they can become quite big bastards lol have you seen the mystery wrasse in the tanks at the moment?? Now they're outstanding fish! lol but I digress, pick things you want and that get along reasonably well and you'll be fine just make sure you do your research into each purchase :)

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
You're not going to regret getting a flame hawk instead. I adore them and they have the absolute best personalities! :D Beware if you get a pair, have the tank covered! They don't really go after snails unless they're small stomela snails and you flick them into the water column haha then it's game on!

Angels are great, amazing fish and by far one of my favourite types fish :) My bellus is definitely a cutie though, pecks at my arm when it's in the tank just to remind me she's still there and she needs feeding haha Lemonpeels are really nice :) but as with all dwarf angels you do run a risk of coral picking and some never do, so it's your choice really. Six-lines are cool but they can become quite big bastards lol have you seen the mystery wrasse in the tanks at the moment?? Now they're outstanding fish! lol but I digress, pick things you want and that get along reasonably well and you'll be fine just make sure you do your research into each purchase :)
I have been admiring that mystery wrasse, it's a nice looking fish. I also like the little Kole tang Dave's got in at the moment. I think I'm going to hold off for a while before I get more fish, so will have plenty of time to research the options, and pick the brains of you guys!

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I have been admiring that mystery wrasse, it's a nice looking fish. I also like the little Kole tang Dave's got in at the moment. I think I'm going to hold off for a while before I get more fish, so will have plenty of time to research the options, and pick the brains of you guys!
That's the thing, research and don't fall into the trap of buying on the spur of the moment.

Same goes for selecting and buying corals.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I will get one one day!! lol the tiny Kole is adorable and if you're thinking about it, do it!! They very rarely come in that small and they're one of the ony tangs you'll fit in the 600, not that I'd try and convince you or anything ;) lol

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
About a week ago I was discussing our next fish purchase with my son, Henry. I'm tossing up between 3 or 4 different species, and still haven't decided. I think Henry has made up his mind though, when we went to the local market this morning he asked the face painter to paint him as a Kole Tang!

I think she did a pretty good job...

image.jpeg

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
About a week ago I was discussing our next fish purchase with my son, Henry. I'm tossing up between 3 or 4 different species, and still haven't decided. I think Henry has made up his mind though, when we went to the local market this morning he asked the face painter to paint him as a Kole Tang!

I think she did a pretty good job...

View attachment 53613
Where's your son? All I see is a kole
:D