Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Stream Pumps Cleaned
I have been cleaning my three Tunze Stream pumps in vinegar. These have come up looking new:)
image.jpeg

I will be using the 7096 USB controller for the different modes. The two outside pumps are 6205's and the middle one is a 6105.

I use a 6205 shroud on the 6105 as it produces a broader flow.
image.jpeg

6105 shroud on left and 6205 on the right.
image.jpeg

I also read about a flow mod that was used to boraden the flow in the Tunze stream pumps and I had to do it. The flow mod basically removes every second vein on the pump shroud. Those who remember my last TJ would remember me doing this.
image.jpeg

Left is normal 6205 shroud and right is the flow modded version. I think it is one of the easiest mods you can do and if you decide it's not for you, replacement shrouds are available.
image.jpeg

All clean and ready to go :D

I am yet to test the modded 6205 shroud on the 6105 yet ;)

Now I am soaking the impellers, attenuation disks, spacers and shafts in vinegar.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
As they say... Go hard or go home!!! This build is certainly on my radar and I can't wait to see it go further.
Gonna be spectacular flow either way mate.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
As they say... Go hard or go home!!! This build is certainly on my radar and I can't wait to see it go further.
Gonna be spectacular flow either way mate.
Thanks slin1977,
I absolutely love these Tunzes. The 2 6205's replaced 4 x Vortech MP40W's and I have never loked back.

I was sick of the realibity issues with the Vortechs, multiple controllers failing, wet ends seizing, shafts snapping, noisy dry ends, rusted magnets expaning in the wet ends - I just had enough! I cannot believe how much money I wasted on those Vortechs!

Did I mention I love these Tunze pumps? ;)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I cleaned mine up recently and they now look like new, just like yours :)

I wish the 7096 controller would allow you to automatically cycle through one or more of the modes - I did investigate building my own controller for the Tunze pumps a few years ago (and it can be done!) - maybe I will get back to it some time in the future :rolleyes

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Not sure how removing every second grill broadens the flow - do you have a link to any test results, etc? I can see how less resistance might (marginally) increase flow though.

Really interested as I run 4 x 6105's. I have the 6205 shrouds on them all. 2 are in the Tunze rocks as well. what voltage jumpers are you running?

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I cleaned mine up recently and they now look like new, just like yours :)

I wish the 7096 controller would allow you to automatically cycle through one or more of the modes - I did investigate building my own controller for the Tunze pumps a few years ago (and it can be done!) - maybe I will get back to it some time in the future :rolleyes
I completely agree, a laptop helps, but being able to scroll through the modes would be easy, so you could see the flow changing in the tank. A controller sounds good MagicJ :) I'd be keen for one.

Not sure how removing every second grill broadens the flow - do you have a link to any test results, etc? I can see how less resistance might (marginally) increase flow though.

Really interested as I run 4 x 6105's. I have the 6205 shrouds on them all. 2 are in the Tunze rocks as well. what voltage jumpers are you running?
I read about the mod on Reef Central and was happy with the results macca_75, no test results except for my experiences. I noticed a broader flow after the mod in my tank :)

I am using the 18v jumpers in the 6105 and the 24v jumpers on the 6205's. I am yet to try the 24v jumper on the 6105.

I have no experience with the Tunze rocks, they do look like an interesting idea.

How do you have yours setup and what program are you using?