Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Strontium
Hi, I have been trying to test strontium using salifert test kit but not sure of my readings, i have 0.65 left in syringe but not sure what that means, has anyone used this kit please?

Str is hard to test for, especially with that kit. And when you add more Str to the water, it seems be used up quickly.

But you should be able to compare the 0.65 to the chart to see what the final number is. The instructions with mine says your Str is zero. Would need to be 0.93 ml to be readable at all.

Maybe you stopped on the Calcium step, and forgot to progress on to the Str step?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Str is hard to test for, especially with that kit. And when you add more Str to the water, it seems be used up quickly.

But you should be able to compare the 0.65 to the chart to see what the final number is. The instructions with mine says your Str is zero. Would need to be 0.93 ml to be readable at all.

Maybe you stopped on the Calcium step, and forgot to progress on to the Str step?
ok but how do i know if i should dose strontium

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Strontium is very stable- it's not a major element and linked with calcium. I put a teaspoon in every six weeks and don't test anymore.
That should be enough IMO

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015

No, i did all the steps

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
The first step of the kit will tell you the calcium level..... it has to be in parameters to continue. Second step strontium... as mentioned above check the chart. From memory it should be at 94-95 to be on the money. Your to far one end of the scales!l just dont recall if your too high or low. If your too low add supplements slowly to avoid a big swing in your system.