Help / Suggestions

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Suggestion. DIY resource/material guide.
Doing my current tank project involves heaps of DIY & the single biggest problem I've had is resourcing materials & expert tradesmen.

Eg. finding someone in SE Melb to repair a tank they didn't make. Finding egg crate, black aquarium edging, some plumbing fittings (black), coloured perspex & so on. I've trawled threads here & other forums plus posted questions and almost without exception all the places people said stocked these items, did not.

Maybe a thread or wiki entry with verified (somehow) sources for such materials and resources.

Classic example: I've seen numerous entries saying Bunnings stock this and that but they do not. After investigating many stores, my sister (a Bunnings employee) accessed their buyers who confirmed that Bunnings not only do not sell said items, but in most cases never have.

I've found nearly everything I need but It occurs to me that if such a resource could be developed, it would save many people time, expense & frustration. I have some rough notions on how it could be implemented but someone on the Reefuge team is probably best to consider this.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Doing my current tank project involves heaps of DIY & the single biggest problem I've had is resourcing materials & expert tradesmen.

Eg. finding someone in SE Melb to repair a tank they didn't make. Finding egg crate, black aquarium edging, some plumbing fittings (black), coloured perspex & so on. I've trawled threads here & other forums plus posted questions and almost without exception all the places people said stocked these items, did not.

Maybe a thread or wiki entry with verified (somehow) sources for such materials and resources.

Classic example: I've seen numerous entries saying Bunnings stock this and that but they do not. After investigating many stores, my sister (a Bunnings employee) accessed their buyers who confirmed that Bunnings not only do not sell said items, but in most cases never have.

I've found nearly everything I need but It occurs to me that if such a resource could be developed, it would save many people time, expense & frustration. I have some rough notions on how it could be implemented but someone on the Reefuge team is probably best to consider this.
Did you call Plastic Fab?

Damjan

Jan 8, 2013
Melbourne
Hay Champ,

Not sure about he fittings but there a few tank builders on gumtree and ebay who may be able to help with your tank, also not sure what the problem is with it but there are good vids on youtube about re-lining tanks if this is the problem. The tank builders might be able to help with the edging as well. I know for a fact that Bunnings sell a limited amount of Black Plumbing in the water tank section, you do pay a premium though. Good luck with it...

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Bunnings carries it (tank trim) in 20mm - off white ONLY for use as waterproofing & it can be painted (yuk) but will eventually come off. They (and hardware's generally) also stock metal versions & 3 colours in PVC but these are the standard slotted pieces used cor cabinetry edging etc.

I could find only one company making black plastic un-slotted "L Angle" in Australia, they seem to supply the aquarium trade. They only sell it to registered businesses at a minimum order of 25 metres.

Fortunately the guy who did some tank repairs for me before xmas has offered to post me some. :D So it seems almost certain that ultimately, tank builders are the initial distributor into the trade as far as we're concerned.