Reef Discussion

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Sump Build Attempt
Hey everyone so I'm most likely moving house soon and tank will be coming with me - at the moment its built into the wall so I'll be building my own stand for it with the move.

With the new stand lets me build a new sump - my current sump is only about 20-30 litres or so and is very terribly made by me out of acrylic

So plans to build a new sump - tank is 3 foot long so stand will be around that and will make a spot for the sump. Stand build will come later though once i do a bit more research.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with cutting or trying to build a tank out of the glass panels for pool fencing? Something like the below seems pretty cheap out of 1 or 2 pieces of that I think I could get all the glass I need as 12mm seems like it'll be plenty thick enough

https://www.bunnings.com.au/everton-960-x-650-x-12mm-glass-balustrade-panel_p1142312

Any other pro tips appreciated

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I could be wrong but I think that's tempered glass and won't work for what you want - plus 12mm is way thick for a sump.
You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a tank builder that will whip you up a sump for a reasonable price.
I can post you a pic of my sump that's for a 1 metre tank that's a good basic setup that works perfectly if you want something for reference.

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
Yeah it's safety glass and it won't work. It's designed to shatter, can't be drilled and I don't think it can be cut like normal glass.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Thought it might be a bit thick, oh well I'll make a bunnings trip to see

I used a tank builder for my main tank and it wasn't crazy expensive but I'm more interested in trying it myself this time, I'll make the trip to bunnings

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I've built small tanks and had good success just using tape. I just built one using corner clamps and it worked very well.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
There is always the option of purchasing a standard tank and siliconing the baffles yourself.

It makes you feel like you built something without having sleepless nights of wondering if the seams you made will bust? :rolleyes

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Yea I've been checking gumtree for a 2 foot tank - I think that's all ill have room for next to my ATO top off water (unless i get 3 foot and put a baffle for that chamber)

Should be cheaper then i can make a baffle out of whatever i can find