Tank Journal Archive

jaspass

Jul 22, 2013
Brisbane
Sump Pictures
I have finished my sump which is a 3x15'x12'

I'm wondering if I should have used 5mm Perspex instead of 3mm so I have added plenty of reinforcing.

5.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg
I made a sock tray so they are really easy to remove. The first baffle is adjustable so I can change the sump level anywhere from 150mm to 250mm or if I remove it I'll have a 100mm baffle left.
The middle baffle on the bubble trap is only 110mm high (enough to cover the return pump)so I can pump the whole sump down to 110mm high which will give me a 40litres available for a water change.

Last edited:

jaspass

Jul 22, 2013
Brisbane
are you going to put other media in the sump? or just the reactor + skimmer?
I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking of some live rock with weed/algae. I don't have a lot of room left if I keep the bio reactor there, I was considering putting it in the same front section where the skimmer is as they do both fit in there just a bit tight but that would free up some space in the fuge. Thoughts?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
if that reactor is going to used for a bio pellets you might want to swap the skimmer and the reactors order,
put the reactor first then the skimmer.

if that reactor is going to used for a bio pellets you might want to swap the skimmer and the reactors order,
put the reactor first then the skimmer.
He might Get micrp bubbles by doing that. I agree though, skimmer second will help with reactor byproduct removal. But in the end if it stays the way it is now it will not be the end of the world. Looks great Jase!

jaspass

Jul 22, 2013
Brisbane
Well I have got both of them in the front section with a few small modifications so the reactor outlet is just at the skimmer pump inlet. I think this is the best arrangement.