Tank Journal Archive

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Sump Setup
So far this is about all I have with the sump.
Pretty basic...
Water from weir directed into frag section, then into skimmer section, into a holding area, then split into return to DT & reactors...
We wont be having any weed growing in the sump or deep sand bed, just skimmer, sulphur reactor & some sort of phosphate control.
Wanted a decent sized frag tank so that will be the single biggest section, always seem to run out of room for frags lol. Hopefully with section this big that wont happen in a hurry this time. Not certain how frags will be laid out as yet or what king of stand / stands to have in their. It might be big but still want to make the best use of the area.
the holding are is to relieve some of the room in the frag tank. Only time I ever get to stick corals in the tank is while doing a water change, It's the only time I can reach the bottom with out a snorkel lol. At the moment we leave new corals in the frag section until that time. With the holding area, this will give us somewhere to store new corals without disturbing the frag section.

Final Sump- TOP DOWN.jpg

Final Sump- Front.jpg

Final Sump- FRAG END.jpg

So that;s about it for now.
Anyone have any thoughts? Is it shit?

Thmpar

Mar 2, 2013
Bendigo
I have no real idea in sump design or how that one works, but it's huge.
Gunna be real impressive.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Oh yeah, my thoughts.... Recess any covers so they sit within the sump so condensation does not track and drop over the outside.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I wish my DT was as big as your sump :(
I like the second one but why are the reactor pumps b$ the return ?
I would leave it as one big area No baffles between the return and the reactor pumps.
In doing that you will have to be selective on your ATO unit.
I like the Idea of the Frag section B4 the skimmer , as you could end up with micro bubbles all over your frags.
just my 2 cents.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
WOW just…wow the size of this thing is going to be epic
Just remember mate, size isn't everything :rolleyes hahaha.

.......I would leave it as one big area No baffles between the return and the reactor pumps........
I did think of that, but figured the return line from the reactors will be dumping back into the same chamber with the return pumps. Could mean a lot of the same water going back through the reactors again. Might be wrong but figured it easy enough to put a divider between them lol.

Oh yeah, my thoughts.... Recess any covers so they sit within the sump so condensation does not track and drop over the outside.
I like that Nils, something I didn't think about, thanks :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
One more tip, go to Tradelink plumbing for your ball valves .
Get the blue handle Sanking brand. I've used these on a few commercial plant rooms and hospital RO set ups .
They are half the price of the gronky red handle ball valves you get from Reece or Bunnings.

Sanking are made in China but silky smooth.

Look out for my TJ plumbing reveal soon.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hey Nils,
I will check them out.
I was looking at the Hansen ball valves.
Also thinking about these from Royal Exclusive.

:)
Hi Ken, unless you purchase the complete set of fittings , tees, elbows, pipes etc then and only then would you need the royal exclusive ball valves , you would still need to come up with some sort of adapter to suit our Australian bulkheads, since royal exclusive don't make bulkheads.

It's the whole BSP , imperial , metric , Australian pipe sizing headache re visited.

BTW royal exclusive fittings are repackaged George Fischer piping systems.
I worked with these fittings and pipes in the UK - they are the highest quality I've seen.

Aquabella sell royal exclusive pipe and fittings , I would suggest you get a box of tricks from them and have a play around with it if you have your heart set on it. Nick may have already come up with a solution for these adapters .

Last edited:

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey Nils,

Yep, under control with Nick, just waiting for the quote to come back lol.
There is actually a Georg Fischer dist. here in Melbourne I have spoken to also. :)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Well if your down this way at the time Nils your always welcome to lend a hand mate lol.

With the sump drawings above, a few have not been able to picture the finished sump as well as myself in their head. So thanks to Dave, this is how it will look in 3D. Will tweak here & there over the next couple of days before ordering. 12mm glass so might have a bit of weight to it lol. Should only be a few days to build? week at the most?? :rolleyes

reefugeable stupid sump.png

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
The real thing makes more sense now :)
2.7 meters long
1 meter wide
390mm high
15mm base & outside panes
10mm inside panels
All edges polished & beveled
"slots" are all laser cut

Holding area
IMG_0476.JPG

Frag section
IMG_0478.JPG

Skimmer section & DT inlet to sump
IMG_0479.JPG

Holding area & pump chambers
IMG_0480.JPG

Skimmer section
IMG_0481.JPG

Most of it
IMG_0484.JPG

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Holly crap. Is that longer than your current setup?
what do you estamate the evoperation rate to be?
This will be the best build that most of us will ever see.
Gret work Ken & Jen.