Tank Journal Archive

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Sump Update Time
Well, the time is here to put in my new sump and some of the gear I have been gathering for a while now.

The pressure is on as I want to get this in and working in the next couple of weeks.

Sump Design:

Trying to keep it as simple as I could here. The sump is lifted off the ground (about 400mm). This will allow me to easily syphon the crud that will eventually accumulate. I’ve tried to make the design as large (volume wise) as I could whilst keeping it functional. The basic flow of water is into the sump via 2 x 40mm bulk heads (one is tuned with a valve, the other is the “emergency” overflow). From here the water is pushed up and over (through) 2 x filter socks, under the bottom and into the skimmer section, and through to the return section.

I’ve tried to make the skimmer section as small as possible whilst still allowing me to add a second pump to the skimmer body should I wish to upgrade in the future.

The end section is just a fraction under 20L of RO storage. This will only be used to mix up supplements and ensures I have enough RO on hand (I usually mix up 2 x 9L batches and the smaller Mg never seems to run out at the same time).

Both the RO section and the sump return chamber have an outlet which is directly hooked up through 25mm plumbing to a drain. If I leave the RO turned on I just waste a little water and it goes down the drain, if my Litermeter stays turned on the excess is pumped down the drain. If the ATO jams on once again no flood, it just goes down the drain. The only issue with the last 2 “failures” is the difference in salinity – something I plan the monitor and alert if there is a swing over a short time period.

Other equipment:
Litermeter
Will be used for 2 functions. First and most important is the auto water changes. I am pretty lazy when it comes to water changes so this will help get my tank back on track where I’d like it to be. All I need to do is keep the 2 x 1000L tanks full enough of NSW. The second function is to use the third channel and have it pump skimmate out every day (or multiple times a day). This will mean although the neck will dirty I can leave the skimmer for long periods of time (holidays, camping trips, etc) without worrying about it over flowing. The waste lines (Skimmate and water change) from the litermeter pumps will be run into the “drain” line of the return section.

Tunze 8555
I plan to move the RO filter into the tank room (I already have running water in there). The 8555 will be setup to keep the RO reservoir full. The 3155 ATO will keep top off in check. Sounds easy enough  I’ll also put a “Y” in the RO line and run the second (with a tap inline) so fill the end section of the sump I mentioned earlier. If either the 8555 detects a low condition or the tap is open the RO unit will start making water. The waste line from the RO will be run into the “drain” of the return section of the sump.

Logitech C510’s
I also plan to setup a few webcams so I can remotely get a visual on the equipment and make sure all is well. This particular model is chosen because they work great for streaming with my Raspberry Pi I already have setup. I’ll just stream each on a different port. I may even find 1 minute snapshots are enough – time will tell.

The plan:
This is the tricky part and what has been making me put it off so long. My thinking is it would take me about 3-4 hours to drain the 2 current sumps, remove the plumbing and remove all the sumps. I then need to lightly sand and repaint 1 wall where some saltwater spilt (as the paint has bubbled). Then give it the rest of the day to dry. Next day move the new sump and stand in and begin plumbing. Murphy’s law says it will take 2 full days just to get the old sumps out and new ones in. 4 days in and it's still not plumbed (although in those 4 days I've also had to work, family life, etc)

So on with the pics.

First up a couple showing just how much crap I have accumulated over the years. Once you spread it out on the floor it shows how much you junk you have - only 1/2 of this will be going back in ;-)

WP_20160108_20_57_23_Pro_LI (576x1024).jpg

WP_20160109_09_24_13_Pro_LI (1024x576).jpg

Then a couple of the sumps being replaced.

WP_20160108_20_57_02_Pro_LI (1024x576).jpg

WP_20160108_20_57_11_Pro_LI (576x1024).jpg

I've had to take over the laundry as I vinegar bath and wash almost everything down.

WP_20160109_09_24_35_Pro_LI (576x1024).jpg

Like a blank canvas (it's all been cleaned and repainted since this photo)

WP_20160109_09_24_52_Pro_LI (576x1024).jpg

WP_20160109_09_25_54_Pro_LI (576x1024).jpg

One of the walls had a few spots where salt/water had splashed onto it. I have sanded and repainted the wall as well

WP_20160109_09_25_05_Pro_LI (576x1024).jpg

Here are the 2 old sumps out. There no going back as 1 of them cracked (either when I was undoing the plumbing or was like that but didn't leak - I will never know).

WP_20160109_09_26_29_Pro_LI (1024x576).jpg

Gives you an idea of how tight the new sump was to get in place (we had to remove the magnets holding on pumps, frag racks, veggie clip, etc to give us an extra 5-10mm).

WP_20160110_12_52_37_Pro_LI (576x1024).jpg

New sump in and some of the plumbing starting to take shape. it was a tight fight - I think another 2mm of width and it would not have gone. Likewise another 10mm in length and it wouldn't fit.

WP_20160112_11_00_56_Pro_LI (1024x576).jpg

WP_20160112_11_01_25_Pro_LI (1024x576).jpg

Hoping to get the DT -> Sump plumbing and sump to return pump plumbing finished today so I can at least get it functional tonight/tomorrow at the latest.

• Next step after the sump is running is setting up the litermeter to empty the skimmer cup.
  • Then moving the RO unit and hooking it up to the reservoir.
  • At this stage I can pretty much leave the tank unattended for weeks….
  • Then I can hook up the litermeter for auto water changes, move some of my probes around, etc.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Made some progress yesterday despite having a case of CBF's and being very down about the whole thing.

Here a pic of the sump with the skimmer and return pump hooked up. You can see the section on the right for the RO for making the supplements. I have a small amount of room in the return section if I want to put a "egg create box" full of macro or something down the track.

WP_20160112_17_34_48_Pro_LI.jpg

And the plumbing underneath. It didn't turn out as I have first envisaged but it's pretty simple plumbing, esp compared to my previous setup.

WP_20160112_17_35_11_Pro_LI.jpg

Tonight (if it's not to hot in there) I'll try and fix the lights. Also need to put a valve on the "t" from the return - way to much is returning into the sump. Really thinking of getting rid of the Laguna - it's far to powerful.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Coming along really well! I am getting motivated to possibly replace my sump too.... My sump is doing stupidly well considering how far it has evolved from it's initial setup - but the thought of making room for all my various gadgets and equipment is mighty tempting.

Yours is looking really neat, love it

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Thanks @Sam Parker - just don't underestimate the job although you'd probably kill it much quicker than I ;)
hahaha I tend to take my time and plan these things out as much as possible so that the changeover is as quick and pain free as possible. Although, I'm guessing you did that too and are still finding it a tough slog!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
hahaha I tend to take my time and plan these things out as much as possible so that the changeover is as quick and pain free as possible. Although, I'm guessing you did that too and are still finding it a tough slog!
I've been planning it for about 18 months (well thinking and procrastinating).

But at the last minute (Friday afternoon) I found myself with 6 hours of no Kids and no Wife so I took the plunge. To be honest, I don't know that planning any further would have helped - sometimes you just need to dive in...

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Sooooo

Finally some good news.

it running and all the water i staying where is should.

After doing the quick of test runs it turns out my current (old) return pump is far to powerful. I have been wanting to down size but now seems as good a time as ever. Thanks to @Rob I grab one of his spares as I wait for a new one to arrive. I took my time and converted was was internal plumbing of the pump to the bulkhead and converted it over to external plumbing. Hooked up the spare pump, replaced the O rings in the 40mm drains (and re-sealed the unions onto the bulkheads whilst I was at it). Turned on the return pump and NOTHING!

After swapping to powers supply over we couldn't get it to work so over to plan C. We grab one of @Rob old pumps from water changes and swapped the plumbing again (this time from 25mm to 19mm hose). Turned to power on and nothing - I was really started to get frustrated now. @Rob pulled the pump apart, applied a little silicon grease, reattached the pump and we were in business :)

EXCEPT for the 2 leaks where the drain attaches to the bulkheads in the sump. Had someone come over the next day, they held the head of the bulkhead inside the sump while I got underneath and gave the fittings a little more tweak and we are in action.

Refer over here to another thread I started for details, but the O rings had shrunk and flattened over time and were not sealing. I ended up with replacements from REPCO from a distributor cap. Whatever works I guess.

And now for some more pics....

Skimmer after a few hours of operation (and not running for a week). I'm running it wet at the moment to ensure it's pulling all the crap out as soon as possible.

WP_20160117_20_53_06_Pro_LI.jpg

Probably my last top down shot. As I'm running the return pump external to the skimmer now I have a fair amount of room in the return section. Might end up with a GFO reactor or similar if I need it. You can see where the dosing lines, ATO and Litermeter lines will sit in the bracket.

WP_20160117_20_54_26_Pro_LI.jpg

And last but not least the underneath plumbing. Still a little more pipework to run through there from the RO Reservoir to drain, but that should be fairly straight forward. (Yes the plastic fittings in the back got a bit munted by the multi grips used to tighten them, but it doesn't leak and I'm not changing it)

WP_20160117_20_55_04_Pro_LI.jpg

So - to do still.

1) Clean and setup old sump as RO Reservoir. Hook it up to a drain. Put the Tunze pump in it and at least i have auto top off again (albehit manually filling up Reservoir)
2) Hook up Tunze RO controller and move RO unit into room. Thats the bit I need to get done so I can go away for more than 2 days at a time (although to be honest the new Reservoir holds about 40-60 litres anyway (I should measure it) - the old one was a 20L drum.
3) Get the dosing lines all rerun - no stress here. I'll do a big water change tonight which will buy me a few days anyway
4) Install a shelf above and start hooking up the Litermeter. This *should* be fairly straight forward as the plumbing is all in - just time really after the shelf is up
5) Sit back and relax (just joking here)
6) move all the probes, etc and tidy up all the wiring.
7) See 5 - not joking this time though.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
No photos to update this time, however I've made a fair bit of progress (or so I thought).

I hooked the 8555 up and ran all the lines neatly. Turned on the water and found an oversight.

Turns out the solenoid needs to be on the input to the RO Filter and cannot be on the output. The flush tap isn't a shutoff valve - it's more of a restriction. When I turned the tap on with the setup I had the unit was constantly making waste, with the solenoid being turned off there was no good RO production (which I was happy with).

So - tonights job is to remove the solenoid from it's current position, replace that small section of line and mount the solenoid between the tap and the RO unit.

Not a big deal, just another hour of work I wasn't expecting....

On a more positive note I have another shelf installed for the litermeters. I added a lip to the front so nothing can be knocked off and drop into the sump as I tend to be a little clumsy at times. This just means I need to drill holes to run the JG lines through - 6 holes shouldn't take to long :-)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Do you have the details for the solenoid you are using on the RO filter?
its the Tunze RO controller

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=6630

works well. Started making my first lot of RO tonight after rerouting the cable and putting on the input side of the RO filter.

went under the house to double check and found an elbow I forgot to glue - drip drip drip...

all fixed now. 40 litres coming up tomorrow night and I might start setting up the litermeter. And takes some pics :-)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
So here is the Liter meter all hooked up.

WP_20160216_20_04_32_Pro.jpg

Pump A (White) draws water from the system down into the drain (white standpipe)
Pump B (Green) draws water from the NSW tanks and dumps it into the sump (near where the return water for the DT is drawn)
Pump C (Blue) draws water (Skimmate) from the skimmer cup into the drain.

huge difference in the flow rates due to the different head heights of each but that's where the power of the litermeter is - is doesn't care as each channel is calibrated.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Just a quick video of my Tunze 8555 in action (manually triggering the on/off actions).

Excuse the poor video but here is a run down of the 8555 in action (I manually activated the float switches - real time takes over an hour between switching on and off)

0:00 - RO unit not running
0:06 – No RO water is coming out of the unit
0:08 - Controller is set to "Water Off"
0:13 - Float "drops" due to reservoir running low
0:17 - Controller is changed to "Water On" due to float dropping
0:22 – Clean water being produced by RO unit
0:28 - RO Unit is running and making water
0:34 - Reservoir fills and float "raises"
0:37 - Controller is set to "Water Off" by float rising
0:41 - Clean water is stopped as Water is set to off
0:45 - RO unit not running

Backups and Safety guards

• The reservoir is connected to a drain and in theory can never "overfill" and flood. At worst I will waste water.
• The 8555 has an inbuilt timer. I have set it to 12 hours so if it runs 12 hours straight is will error and require a reset.
• If the ATO did stick "on" salinity would drop slightly however the continuous water change would help reduce the effect.