Reef Discussion

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Tank Cleaning
Hi All

I am about to get a used Red Sea Max 400 S which is not overly dirty..but it is a neglected tank. The tank alone weighs a 100kg so cleaning it outside is not an option. I imagine running the skimmers and pumps with diluted vinegar will do the trick . What I am wondering is how best to get rid of the water.. Fill it up with tap water.. add vinegar and run for a couple of days .. then scrape off the walls both main and sump.. then siphon it out ..refill with water.. siphon it again and wipe it down . Now that I have written this ddown it sounds like a silly question :) . Inputs much appreciated..

He had fish which I dont want as I am sure given my inexperience I will kill them so Id rather cycle it on my own. He has clean up crew which if I dont take will die as LFS wont buy them. Anyway can I keep them alive in a bucket while the tank cycles ?

Thanks in advance

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
Hi. If you would like to pm me your mobile number. I'd be happy to give advice.
I have the 500S.

Cheers

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
hey thats not a bad idea actually.. But what about the pumps, the skimmer and the pipe internals ?

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
All righty then.. here is what I did.. bought 96 Litres of vinegar..all of the equipment was dumped into the laundry sink with 8 litres of 50-50 for 2 days with the pumps running. 92 litre vinegar was dumped into the aquarium, filled with tap water and all pumps turned on for two days then it was emptied and scrubbed down followed by 2 full loads of clean tap water .. end result..she looks new ..Thanks Akki but for anyone else in the same situation do exactly what I outlined or go beyond..cost is about 50 bucks for vinegar plus water.. a shit load :rolleyes and 2 hours of scrubbing and it will come out looking new. The base rock is in and sand has been washed and placed.. tomorrow the salt water goes in and the cycle starts. Have a RODI unit but thought it better to order the salt water for the cycling.Will post some pics soon. Thank you everyone who replied specially Akki