Reef Discussion

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Tank Volumes
Hello my lovely pretties,

This post was spurred by Couch Potatoes recent post regarding vinegar dosing.

When you are dosing or otherwise mucking about with your tank, do you go off the amount of water you have in your tank or by the tank volume?

Do many of you know how much water your tank contains?

For example, my tank is 180 L, but I have only about 130 L water in there.

So, if you are dosing, you'd be going off 130 L?

I would have thought one must go off the actual volume in there. However, there are situations where people might say you need a 50 gallon tank for this or that, but is my tank 45 gallons or 32.5 gallons?

I also wondered if historical values might be based on a presumed volume of water per tank volume, if this makes sense.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I'd include sump volume if you are talking a liquid to go into the water column. If you are talking something that may be display only (only example I can think of right now is lighting.... lol) then I'd just count the display

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I don't include the sump as I figure that it will compensate for the LR & coral in the display tank.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
There is a very good online calculator that you put in glass thickness, sand depth , rocks etc and gives you fairly good displacement litres

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
When I filled mine I mixed up all the water in a big tank then used 10L buckets to fill the tank, was a little tedious but worth it as I was able to work out my total volume after sand/rock/equipment etc.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
When I filled mine I mixed up all the water in a big tank then used 10L buckets to fill the tank, was a little tedious but worth it as I was able to work out my total volume after sand/rock/equipment etc.
I did the same. Just have to compensate for any water that is in any wet item you are adding. like coral sand etc.