Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
The Bacteria Badlands
Another day another update :) Figured I should check back in since having the halides back on again! There's a few minor changes and tweaks starting to hit The Shallows at the moment! Since the having the tank cranking with regular testing and 4-5 hours of halide a day things are really coming back to a level I'm happy with! Colours are doing well and growth is slowly kicking in again which is nice! Bubble algae is taking over like mad but getting some Vibrant to sort that out!
Seeing as I've pretty always been a bit of a bacteria dosing nut in my tanks I've decided to play around and step up my game a little in that sector, because hey!, what's the good of a reef if you can't tinker lol. The first new difference is I bought a little tub of Pro Bio F to play with, it's not specifically recommeded but the heavy sps tank AF system does use it and I'm intrigued by it as it's a powder, I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.. From my understanding it's a mix of NP Pro and Pro Bio S plus some other goodies that make it a little more rounded. I dosed two spoons (of a recommended 3) last night and the one dose has made the skim go about twice as dark today lol so there must be something in it! Just to start with I'm only going to dose it maybe twice a week ad see what happens.
The second slightly more major change is, I went a little silly and got a 22kg tub of the AF probiotic reef salt because if we're playing with bacteria I may as well go all out haha I've wanted to give it a whirl to see what happens anyway :) It's really a great deal of bacteria going into the tank but I can always stop, start or adjust everything and I'm curious to see what the probiotic salt may do if anything.
I've also upped the vitamin game in the tank as I got a tester bottle, man vitamins stink and boy do they look like radioactive urine :P

I also picked up some scrummy acro goodies :inlove: and meet the Sump Monster I'm picking up tomorrow lol
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_20170505_134203_zpskmfdb6bv.jpg

ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_20170505_123057_02_zpsot51bcwm.jpeg

ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_20170505_123104_01_zpswe241loe.jpeg

The little Fu Manchu didn't make it through the week at the store due to mysterious circumstances so that plan is a little delayed :( It might give me some time to sort out some live foods lol

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hey Dom.
How have you found AF in comparison to Zeo ?
I am back on zeo.
Also I hope I am wrong but those two strawberry shortcakes look to be both the same species.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Noice, so what the heck is that "sump monster"?
looks like something from the deadliest catch...
That is an arrow crab of some description lol not sure on the exact species but it's adorable so my Georgia is making me get it! lol

Hey Dom.
How have you found AF in comparison to Zeo ?
I am back on zeo.
Also I hope I am wrong but those two strawberry shortcakes look to be both the same species.
Pretty good :) Some things are a little different but I haven't really play with AF yet as much as I had with zeo. I'm definitely enjoying it and the price difference is really the biggest aspect as I would happily revert back to zeo again :) Also I've still got like three bags of stones that you can have when we catch up next!
Nah two different species, the branching red one is similar to a. hyacinthus and the bulb I'm not sure of yet but neither are shortcakes :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
The sump monster is in his home :D (I actually think he's a decorator crab not an arrow after some research)
20170507_170346.jpg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Wooo :D got a kegking magnetic solenoid and regulator and a weipro pH controller on the way :) it'll be a nitrate reactor for the next two weeks though :P

20170508_105223.jpg

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Mate the crab and corals a knarlry!
I've been meaning to try the pro bio f, the np pro and pro bio s seems like twice the work... lol keep us updated!
Good luck with the Calc reactor to!
How will you feed it pump wise?
And which method will you use to tune it?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Mate the crab and corals a knarlry!
I've been meaning to try the pro bio f, the np pro and pro bio s seems like twice the work... lol keep us updated!
Good luck with the Calc reactor to!
How will you feed it pump wise?
And which method will you use to tune it?
Haha lazy! Dosing 2 drops twice a day is nothing lol there's definitely something potent in pro bio f though, changed my skim overnight lol
Well I've got a vario blue ii on loan from Sam which is a peristaltic pump so I'll probably buy another when I get the chance! If I had the cash I'd be getting a masterflex peristaltic but I'm not quite that cashed up :P
I'm planning on using this method I think:

Looking awesome Dom, the crab looks amazing!
I should have him hand feeding in no time! He eat pellet mash from the end if a cable tie with gusto last night haha

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Haha lazy! Dosing 2 drops twice a day is nothing lol there's definitely something potent in pro bio f though, changed my skim overnight lol
Well I've got a vario blue ii on loan from Sam which is a peristaltic pump so I'll probably buy another when I get the chance! If I had the cash I'd be getting a masterflex peristaltic but I'm not quite that cashed up :p
I'm planning on using this method I think:

I should have him hand feeding in no time! He eat pellet mash from the end if a cable tie with gusto last night haha
Haha I know.. but once a day powder seems even easier! :p
Nice a vario blue, I noticed SEWATEC don't sell them anymore?
I watched that video last week!
Seems so easy! :D
I think i need to stop asking questions... I'm gonna wanna join the cool kids with a Calc reactor..

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Haha I know.. but once a day powder seems even easier! :p
Nice a vario blue, I noticed SEWATEC don't sell them anymore?
I watched that video last week!
Seems so easy! :D
I think i need to stop asking questions... I'm gonna wanna join the cool kids with a Calc reactor..
It's pretty potent so you'll get away with it lol
Nah they don't stock them anymore, there's another german store but with the exchange rate at the moment they're like $250 lol I found a $40 no brand one that I'm thinking I might give a whirl haha
I've had no skim for the last 3 days :/ I've put it down to the dust from the ARM carx media lol still bubbling just no foam forming :( it's making me nervous not having any skim lol

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
It's pretty potent so you'll get away with it lol
Nah they don't stock them anymore, there's another german store but with the exchange rate at the moment they're like $250 lol I found a $40 no brand one that I'm thinking I might give a whirl haha
I've had no skim for the last 3 days :/ I've put it down to the dust from the ARM carx media lol still bubbling just no foam forming :( it's making me nervous not having any skim lol
$40 sounds good haha!
Interesting about the lack of skim. Hope that starts back up soon!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
$40 sounds good haha!
Interesting about the lack of skim. Hope that starts back up soon!
Haha it also sounds like it could be a trap :P
Skim has FINALLY come back this morning too :D lol

I've just dialed my calc reactor in this week using this method. Pretty easy and holding ALK dead steady atm.
Awesome! One of the main things I like about this method is the effluent line not getting clogged :)