Tank Journal Archive

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
The Beginning...17l Pico
I set this up for the RTAW pico challenge. I've had experience with picos before and know all the extra work it takes to maintain a tank this small. Plans are to keep possibly one small goby (citron or a green coral perhaps) and then just some simple zoas and shrooms, The point of this tank is to have something that can live in there its entire life, and not need to be moved to a larger tank. Which is why the stocking list isn't 100% yet. I may consider making it an invert only tank and just having some corals and a cleaner shrimp of some sort. Or just corals. Who knows. Right now it's been cycling for 20 some odd days and should be getting ready for a bit of life in there shortly. I'm using mainly dried rock with a few small pieces of fully cured live rock from a friends display to help seed it. Hence why it's taking ages.

Guidelines for the tank were that it needed to be setup and wet by Jan 1 2014 so in that regard I'm ahead of schedule but, knowing that there's no true timeline in this addiction I set it up ASAP to give it as much time to cycle as possible. No new livestock can be added after March 1 2014 so ideally I'd like to have the corals and everything in there for a bit before hand, give them time to really establish themselves and then just fill in.

The last readings on the tank as of Dec 24, 2013 were:
Temp: 26C
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 2ppm (on it's way down from the spike)
Nitrite: 5ppm (on it's way up)
Nitrate: 30ppm (slow and steady climb as the cycle moves on)

Most recent FTS in the attatched image!

Thanks for looking!

IMG_1152.JPG

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Final stages of the cycle!!! Ammonia is at zero. Now we just wait for the Nitrites and the Nitrate to fall and then start slowly stocking! Also added a Fluval Sea C1 with 1000lph flow! 88x turnover in the tank!